Rawai Beach Activities
What to Do in Rawai Beach
Rawai is one of Phuket’s best kept secrets and is a beautiful beach village with most areas still under minimal development compared to a lot of the rest of the island. It is where many expats prefer to settle and make a home and offers a combination of a friendly small town atmosphere with all the modern facilities visitors seek.
You’ll find lot of choice of things to do during a stay here such as island hopping by taxi-boat, Thai boxing, learning to cook Thai food, horse riding and more.
Like many of the artists who have gravitated to Rawai, Apinan Tovankasame is originally not from Phuket. He’s from Bangkok but has absolutely no plans to go back there. He originally moved to the island many years ago to teach in a local college and only later set up Baan Batik, selling to both the retail and wholesale markets.
Call to check for batik painting class at +66 (0) 76 384 061. Alternatively contact Adult Activities Centre at Vijitt Resort & Spa Tel: +66 (0) 76-363600 (daily)
- Opening Hours: Baan Batik opens from 09:00 – 18:00, Closed on Sundays
- Location: Baan Batik is about two km from the Chalong circle, next to Lemon (Bangjak) gas station on Viset Road. Vijitt Resort & Spa is about five km from Chalong Circle towards Rawai Beach on the left
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 384 061
Boat Renting around Rawai
The Andaman Sea is famous for its azure charms, as displayed in Hollywood movies like The Beach, Cutthroat Island and several James Bond outings. An ideal way to explore Phuket's surroundings is to rent your own boat and go wherever you feel like each day.
To charter a yacht, try Big A Yachting & Resort Tel: +66 (0) 76-383080 in Soi Sermsuk, not far from the Chalong Circle on the way to Rawai Beach. Alternatively you can hire one of many of the taxi-speedboats and long-tail boats that line Rawai Beach for a day or half day to visit smaller nearby islands such as Koh Hae, Koh Lone and Koh Racha.
- Location: Along Rawai Beach
There is a good horse riding program near the Lemon gas station on the way to Rawai. The Phuket Riding Club is based about 1.5 km south of the Chalong Circle on Viset Road. They have good safety procedures and offer full packages including pick up transfer at reasonable prices.
- Location: Near the Lemon (Bangjak) gas station on Viset Road
- Tour Available: Phuket Horse Riding Tour
Phuket Sports and Tennis Club
There is a privately owned Phuket Sports and Tennis Club in Rawai that offers a good range of outdoor and indoor sports with all the relevant equipment for tennis, beach volleyball, badminton, pétanque, croquet, fishing, pool and darts. Other facilities include the Outback Bar and a restaurant that serves both Thai and European food. The club also has family areas with charcoal and gas-fired BBQ’s and you can either bring your own food or purchase it from the bar. Phuket Sports and Tennis Club is open for both members and non-members.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 08.00 till late
- Location: Soi Suksan 2, Viset Rd, Rawai. Coming from Chalong Circle, take Viset Road heading towards Rawai, continue along this road for 1.6 Kilometers. 20 meters before the Lemon Green (aka Bangjak) gas station on the right hand side, you will see Soi Suksan 2, take this turn and take the right-hand fork as you enter
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 289 714 or +66 (0) 816072805
Thai Boxing in Rawai
Witness the passion and drama of Thailand's national sport amidst crowds of onlookers whose cheers blend with the strains of high-pitched Javanese clarinets, drums and finger cymbals that accompany the fights from beginning to end. Visitors can enjoy live matches by professional boxers at the Suwit Gym. If you want to learn Thai Boxing even for a day, try Rawai Muay Thai Gym on Soi Sai Yuan 1 Road (Tel: +66 (0) 76-383107)
- Opening Hours: Live matches at the Suwit Gym are every Friday night at 20:00
- Location: Suwit Gym is near the T-Junction at Soi Palai (Phuket Zoo) on Chao Fa East Road leading to Phuket Town from Chalong. The gym is located behind a convenience shop. There is a large sign at the front with the gym’s name. It is quite easy to find.
- Tel: +66 (0) 76-381167
Thai Cooking Classes in Rawai
Thai food is based from five flavors– salty, sour, sweet, pungent and bitter. To cook Thai is to learn how to blend all those into the taste that people like. A typical cooking class usually starts off with the teacher taking students to visit a local market to buy ingredients (or in some cases, going to a hotel herb’s garden to pick fresh herbs and vegetables). Then students will have the chance to cook their own lunch and eat them together as well as to discuss cooking methods. It is a lot of fun. For Thai cooking classes in the Rawai Area, try the Adult Activities Centre at Vijitt Resort & Spa or visit the Cashew Nut Restaurant in Soi Sai Yuan located about 120 metres from Rawai Muay Thai Gym.
- Opening Hours: Please call Vijitt Resort and Cashew Nut for an updated schedule
- Location: Vijitt Resort & Spa, about five km from Chalong Circle towards Rawai Beach on the left. Cashew Nut Restaurant in Soi Sai Yuan 1 located about 120 metres from Rawai Muay Thai Gym.
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 363 600 for Vijitt Resort or +66 (0) 89 6451 840 for Cashew Nut
Thailand Camp is the only camp in Phuket that provides Muay Thai, Yoga, Detox, Fitness & Weight Loss training. The camp’s Health Food restaurant serves nutritious meals which aid your training. The ingredients used have been proven to increase fat-loss while shaping and toning the body as well as increasing usable-energy. You will be assessed and offered a completely unique program tailor-made for your physical needs. Yoga is also taught and practiced here.
- Address: 91/19 Moo 6, Viset Road, Rawai, Muang Phuket Thailand 83100, Rawai, Phuket 83100, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)87 471 1351
Spas, Thai Massage and Herbal Saunas in Rawai
A visit to Thailand wouldn’t be the same without having a traditional Thai massage and/or a herbal sauna. Phuket is an ideal place to experience such treatments as the number of businesses is growing fast. A good massage is believed to be healthy in many ways such as to relieve poor sleep patterns and jet lag, ease stiff muscles and to boost the immune system.
Herbal sauna is said to improve your body and mind as the main ingredients used in the steam room are well known for their healing powers. For example, lemongrass relieves stress, galangal cures skin diseases and kaffir lime fruit and leaves are good for your hair. There are good standard herbal saunas and massage dotted here and there in Rawai, or you can visit one of the list below.
Atsumi Healing Centre
The Atsumi Healing Center is a natural therapy education centre and retreat where people renew their health through fasting and detox programs. You can also learn yoga, meditation, horse riding and Thai Atsu/Shiatsu massage there. The centre is quite busy so a day or two advance booking is recommended.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 09:00 – 18:00
- Location: Soi Pattana, Sai Yuan Rd
- Tel: +66 (0) 81 2720 571
Poo's Palm Sauna and Massage
Poo’s is probably the best option to try for a first time herbal sauna experience as the place is well kept, clean and very friendly priced (70 baht per person). If you go there unprepared, you can rent a sarong for a minimum fee. Also try their Thai massage treatment for 250 baht per hour or an oil massage for 300 baht per hour. They are usually quite good.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10:00 - 20:00
- Location: Soi Suksan 1, less than one km from the Chalong Circle towards Rawai, look for an overhead bridge at the local school and turn right.
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 384 002
This luxuriously appointed spa is spread over three floors and has an attractive spa design. The Six Senses Spa provides a comprehensive menu i.e. hot compress and deep tissue massage, Thai massage, Swedish massage, holistic massage, Thai silk facial and jet lag recovery, etc.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 09:00 – 20:00
- Location: Evason Phuket Resort, Viset Road
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 381 010
Ayurveda Spa at Mangosteen Resort
Ayurveda Spa belongs to the Mangosteen Resort & Spa on Viset Road. Their services include a choice of body scrubs, Asian herbal exfoliation, Swedish massage, European facial and anti-stress massage – all with great views out over the surrounding countryside. The extra advantage is that customers are free to use all the hotel facilities such as the swimming pool, fitness centre and restaurants.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 09:00 – 20:00
- Location: At Mangosteen Resort & Spa on Viset Road, five km south of the Chalong Circle.
- Tel: : +66 (0)76 289 399