Bangtao Beach Attractions
What to See in Bangtao Beach
Bangtao Beach is dominated by the six-hotel Laguna complex and has many satellite businesses, upmarket restaurants and bars.
What is notable about the area however, is that it has retained its own unique character and because of this you can still find colourful and interesting local markets, cheap food outlets and typical Thai temples, all mostly within strolling distance of each other.
The six-kilometre beach remains the main attraction here and if you want avoid the busy central part of the beach, head north and you'll find more tranquil areas such as - Layan Beach, and a Robinson Crusoe-like feel to the area.Read More
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
All Attractions in Bangtao Beach
Canal Village has about 40 units and is set in a casuarina grove by one of the resort's lagoons. It is laid out like a walking street and has a car park next to its entrance. The 'village' is made up of boutiques, souvenir shops, a bakery, jewelry stores, a clinic, a minimart, and several tailors. Here you can also find quality leather goods such as briefcases, shoes and suitcases.
Canal Village also has a silk factory outlet that sells bags, scarves, ties as well as shirts and you can also have clothes made and tailored here, too. A sports shop selling brand-name shoes and accessories stands next to a shop entirely devoted to sunglasses. You'll also find an art and gift gallery, two Jim Thompson (silk specialists) outlets as well as a shop called 'Siam Crafts' that sells souvenirs and memorabilia. You can have your photos downloaded at the Kodak shop and Canal Village features a small children's playground. At the water's edge there is a tastefully appointed restaurant.
- Opening Hours: Hours vary per store (usually 10:00 – 22:00)
- Location: Inside Laguna Phuket Resort Complex
It’s hard to believe that the rich Cherng Thalay neighborhood, known for its many five-star resorts and hotels was once nothing but a quiet little community. Back then it was full of Chinese immigrants seeking a new life, many of them in the tin mining industry. At one point they were looking for something to unite them and protect them from bad luck and evil spirits so they thought about bringing Taoist deities (from China) to the village.
Around the year 1901, Mr Ju Pai Tuk, a hairdresser in the village, went back to China to visit his family and also to bring back three wooden images of Taoist deities Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily
- Location: Sri Soonthorn Road, Thalang District
Cherng Thalay Temple
Wat Cherng Thalay or Cherng Thalay Temple has been the spiritual centre of Bangtao and Cherngtalay for almost a century now after it relocated from its original site in Khao Noi. The temple is in typical Thai-Buddhist design, with images of giant snakes on the way up to the 'ubosot' or main hall and paintings illustrating the Buddha’s good works (or ‘nitan chadok’ in Thai).
Every evening, the lights along the pathways inside the temple come on with light poles fashioned in the form of kinnarees (half-human, half-birdlike creatures that figure in ancient Thai tales) which look quite charming, especially at dusk.
- Opening Hours: Daily
- Location: About 300-400 metres before the police station intersection if coming from the Heroine's Monument. Easy to spot from the main road (Srisoontorn Road).
Layan Beach is the name of the northern end of Bangtao Beach on the west coast of Phuket. Unlike the majority of Phuket’s west coast beaches, it is still a very tranquil area, where you can lie and relax under the shade of the tall pine trees bordering the beach. Read More...
- Location: Northern end of Bangtao Beach
- How to get there: The easiest way to get there is to pass through Laguna Complex and follow the small road along the coast heading north.