Monkey Hill in Phuket Town
Discover Khao Toh Sae Viewpoint on the Highest Hill in Phuket City0
Toh Sae Hill in Phuket Town is sometime referred to as Monkey Hill. The reason why becomes fairly obvious after a few hundred metres when you come across a troupe of macaques munching away on fruit brought to them by locals.
Probably the highest hill in Phuket Town, Monkey Hill is home to a few TV and radio stations and a popular recreation spot where many locals jog on a daily basis. A proper platform has been built towards the top of the mountain (in the curve before to reach the TV stations) in 2015 to offer a stunning view point over Phuket City.
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
There is one man in particular known as Pae Hog (aka Uncle Hog) who is there daily and will do a 'show' for you with his little friends. According to him there are about 400 macaques in total. They live in groups all over Monkey Hill. When he comes he gives them food separately or else they fight for it so it can get chaotic. These macaques are not aggressive and do not approach people as certain temple monkeys do, nevertheless care should be taken if you are with small children.
Near the bottom of the hill stands a colourful shrine devoted to three holy spirits; Toh Sae Dang, Toh Sae Dam and Toh Sae Kaow. It’s usually busy on Friday though it opens every day. Many people come here specifically to ask for lucky numbers for the lottery.
Halfway up to Monkey Hill peak is a rudimentary exercise park completely refurbished in 2015. Unlike other viewpoints in Phuket the views on the way up are better than at the peak itself. This is because there are TV stations on the top and satellite towers dominate the summit, obscuring the views down over Phuket. There are several places to stop and peek through the trees at Phuket's port, the town and the sea, yet the platform installed in 2015 offers the best view point available on Monkey Hill.
During day time you can drive a car or motorbike up to the viewpoint and peak but remember that the hill is quite steep. At 17:00, the road to the summit is closed to traffic in a way to give people a chance to exercise by walking up and watch the sunset at the view point. It takes roughly about two hours for a round trip, depending on each person. The road is not long but the steepness makes it quite difficult to go fast. This fitness opportunity is extremely popular
There is a restaurant by the name Green Forest near the bottom of the hill (50m before the shrine) with a view to Koh Siray and the east coast; it’s a nice local place to sit and have some lunch, dinner or simply just a cold drink. Read More...
- Location: Near Phuket Provincial Hall and Provincial Court in Phuket Town. If you are coming from Thepkasattri Road, take the first road left after Phuket Prison situated on Dammrong Road. This is Toe Sae Road which leads up to Monkey Hill.
- Remarks: The road to the top of the hill is closed to traffic from 17:00-20:00
You May Also Like