The gibbons you see in the bars, being carried around as tourist photo opportunities or as household pets started life high in the tree canopy of Thailands rainforests. The mother was shot and fell from the tree with her baby still clutching her.
Until they reach five years of age they are cute, cuddly and amenable - then they become aggressive, they develop sharp canine teeth which can inflict severe injuries - so they are killed or abandoned.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
The lucky ones are found and brought to this centre at Bang Pae Waterfall where the rehabilitation project has been set up. Getting them back to the wild is a long process. They have to learn to recognise and eat wild food - they were probably fed on beer and peanuts, rice and sweets. They have to improve their strength and mobility - some may have never seen a tree - they may never have seen another gibbon, and so they have to learn to be a gibbon again.
The project is staffed mainly by European volunteers who pay to come. They feed the gibbons, clean the cages, run the tours and generally maintain this project.
Tours are free but as this project is funded entirely by the generosity of visitors and volunteers, donations are very welcome. The project is open from 10.00am to 4.00pm every day. We are next to the Bang Pae Waterfall so you can visit two sites of interest at the same time. Do come - the gibbons would love to see you!
Most taxi drivers know where we are and you either come with a taxi or by yourself. Some travel agents also offer a tour to the project.
Phuket Gibbon Rehabilitation Project
If you are interested in helping us please contact us at the numbers below or use our e-mail. Donations are also welcome!!!!!
- Address: Bang Pae Waterfall, Pa Khlock, Talang, Phuket 83110
- Tel: +66 76 260 491 -2