Opened in 2007 in Phuket’s Kathu district, Red Mountain Golf Club is located on what used to be a tin mine right next to its sister golf course - Loch Palm Golf Club – and has become one of the favourite courses in Phuket. Red Mountain golf landed its name from the mesa-style appearance of its landscape, made up of red soil, granite rocks, hills, and vegetation.
Located only 15mn by car from Phuket Town and Patong Beach, it is a great place – far from it all on a busier and busier island. The 224 hectare 18-hole course is a par 72 with a total length of 6,781 yards. The clubhouse is a modern building with a restaurant terrace overlooking the superb natural surroundings and two of the 18 holes.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Designed by Jonathan Mark Morrow (PGA Professional), Red Mountain has four tee-boxes as following: Red – 5,203 yards – for Ladies and Juniors; White – 5,925 yards – for Beginners and Seniors; Blue – 6,341 yards – for men; Black – 6,781 yards – for professionals and low handicappers. The course takes you through different landscapes and hazards (cliffs, forests, lakes and bunkers). Along the way you can spot many lizards of all sizes, they are the original inhabitants of this specific environment in which ground orchids, nepenthes and different types of ferns lend a prehistoric touch.
Voted third-best new course in Asia 2007 by the readers of Asian Golf Monthly, Red Mountain course’s favourite holes are the following:
- Hole 1 (par 4): the 398-yard opening hole is the reason the golf course got its name as red ‘mountains’ raise from the green right in front of you
- Hole 3 (par 3): this 167-yard short hole makes its way through bushes and ferns in style
- Hole 16 (par 4): this long-hitters’ 301-yard hole offers distant sea views over Chalong Bay at the tee-box
- Hole 17 (par 3): this beautiful 169 yards hole drop of 50 metres between its tee-box and its green in a corridor of hills and forest
All in all, it takes about four-and-a-half hours to complete the course with five refreshment kiosks along the way. Red Mountain Golf Club also has a fleet of electric golf-carts which help you along the way. The course is generally considered difficult, especially for beginners. A driving range is also available right next to the clubhouse.
The Red Mountain Club House is perched on the top of a hill and overlooks the erstwhile tin mine, including the 9th and 18th holes. Situated some two kilometers from the common entrance to Loch Palm and Red Mountain Golf Clubs, the road leading to the clubhouse is extremely well maintained and offers glimpses over the course.
When you arrive at the clubhouse, a team uniformed staff will take care of you and your equipment before escort you to the tee-off or to the locker rooms (separate for men and women). In case you do not have your own equipment you can rent golf clubs. All the top names are here – Taylormade, Nike, Ping and Cobra.
The Clubhouse also has a boutique pro-shop where you can purchase all the equipment and clothes necessary for a good round of golf. The Red Mountain restaurant is open from 06:00 to 19:00 and serves reasonably priced Thai and western classic dishes. The view from the restaurant terrace is superb and even non-golfers come here to enjoy a late breakfast or lunch.
Red Mountain Golf Club
- Opening Hours: Daily 06:00 – 19:00 – Golf starts as soon as visibility is good and ends accordingly
- Location: Kathu district, between Kathu village and Kathu waterfall
- Remarks: Due to the time required to complete a course it is advised to start as early as possible to avoid the oppressive heat
- Tel: +66 (0)76-322000-1
- Tour Available: Red Mountain Course