Chillva Market Phuket
Night Market in Phuket Town0
Chillva Market Phuket is a cool, trendy night market with a somewhat bohemian vibe and an impressive selection of food, fashion and other stalls, despite a relatively small size. Hard to miss by the side of Yaowarat Road (which runs by Tesco Lotus, on the way towards Phuket Town), it has a distinctive look created by the use of colourful shipping containers as shopfronts.
The stores in the upcycled containers are open every day from 16:00, but the best time to visit is on Thursday, Friday or Saturday, when the flea market comes to town, setting up in tents and little hawker stalls to fill the 6,400 sqm marketplace to capacity. At the heart of the market is a small stage with a pond behind and amphitheatre in front, which sees presentations and music when the market is in full swing.Read More
- Elephant Trekking at Siam Safari with Meal
- Elephant Trekking Adventure at Siam Safari
- Simon Cabaret Show Admission
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Introduction to City Tour
- Phuket Thai Cookery School Session with Market Tour
- Half-Day Jungle Safari with Elephant Trekking & Performance
- 3-Day Bike Adventure to Khao Sok & Cheow Lan Lake
- Half-Day Jungle Safari with Thai Cooking & Boxing Demonstration
Chillva Market Phuket is rather more geared towards local Thais than it is for tourists. This comes with the downsides that everything happening on stage is completely incomprehensible to anyone not fluent in Thai and many of the goods on sale are targeted more at the hip local teenagers.
On the upside, it gives you a much more local experience than some of Phuket’s other markets and the prices are generally more reasonable, with good-quality fashionable t-shirts from 129 baht, sunglasses from 99 baht and handmade beauty products from 25 baht.
Food vendors make up probably slightly more than half of the stalls and the permanent stores, with funky pubs, chic coffee shops, fruity ice cream shops and a wide selection of street foods. Prices are generally very low, with even big servings from the more established stores rarely exceeding a couple of hundred baht.
Thanks to its late opening hour, Chillva Market Phuket isn’t too stuffy and, being quite small, taking a leisurely walk around won’t either exhaust you or take you half the night. We recommend visiting after 18:00 as the air is cooler and the market has a much livelier atmosphere as more people arrive to look around or just hang out and socialise.
Chillva Market Phuket
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Container shops only: daily 16:00 – 22:00.
Full market: Thu – Sat 16:00 – 23:00
- Address: 141/2 Yaowarat Road, Phuket Town
- Tel: +66 (0)99 152 1919
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/Chillvamarket