Phuket Town Nightlife
Where to Go at Night in Phuket Town
The nightlife scene in Phuket Town (recently upgraded to city status but old habits die hard) is certainly different from the all-out assault on the senses that is Patong. People like to characterise Phuket Town nightlife as being slow, boring, with locations too far apart. But Phuket Town nightlife has a distinctly Asian flavour that's an acquired taste, yet a delight once you get to know it.
Phuket is a great window into the life of real, everyday, modern Thais. The scene in downtown nightclubs and bars is very indicative of Thai culture: it's fun, slightly corny and no one is taking anything too seriously. Because of the nature of the beast – spread out and slightly quirky – perhaps a read through the following is a good idea to get your nightlife bearings.
Other Nightlife Venues in Phuket Town
Aphrodite is a glamorous cabaret show much in the same vein as Simon Cabaret in Patong. With a cast of hundreds it's certainly impressive to view and an entertaining night out. A large ship-like structure located opposite Tesco Lotus just outside Phuket Town, it houses a 900-seater theatre, a suki shop that can hold 350 diners and a 600-diner Chinese restaurant, as well as a brewery producing three types of Pearl Lager Beer. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Showtimes: 18:00, 19:30, 21:00
- Location: Opposite Tesco Lotus on Phuket’s Bypass Road
- Tel: 076 612 888
Karaoke is extremely popular in Asia and Thailand is no exception. Locals in Phuket usually combine eating, drinking and crooning and this is the place to do it either in private 'VIP' rooms or in the open bar space.
- Opening Hours: For dinner
- Location: Phuket Road, diagonally opposite the Phuket Immigration Office, Phuket Road
Bowling - CS Bowl Centre Entertainment
Bowling enthusiasms can enjoy a few games at the only bowling centre in town, the CS Bowl Centre Entertainment located inside Big C. CS Bowl is usually busy over the weekend therefore they often offer special packages/promotions during weekdays such as ‘play three games pay only 100 baht deal’. The alley has shoes and socks for rent at the price of 30 baht per pair in case you need any. They also have extensive food and drink menus.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri from 12:00 – 22:00, Sat and Sun from 11:00 – 22:00.
- Location: On the top floor of Big C, Bypass Road
- Tel: +66(0) 76 249 260
Buddy Café is about as Thai as you can get. Some 40 girls dressed in provocative and revealing costumes sing nightly. Members of the audience (mostly male, of course) purchase garlands of 'flowers' and drape them round the singers' necks. The singers later cash in the garlands with the café's management. There's plenty of plush seating and over-the-top décor and you can also order food. If it all sounds old fashioned, the basic idea behind it all is – but the costumes aren't.
- Opening Hours: 20:00 – 02:00
- Location: Soi Nimit off Chana Charoen Road, near Seahorse traffic circle
Cinemas and Movie Theatres
When in Phuket Town, check out SFX Coliseum at Central Festival Phuket Shopping Mall and the Coliseum Paradise Multiplex next to Ocean Shopping Mall. They both feature Thai, Western and Asian movies but SFX offers more English-language soundtracks than Coliseum. Both cinemas feature the usual drinks' and popcorn outlets plus VIP sections on top of standard seating as well as Game Zones.
- Location: SFX Coliseum is on the 3rd Fl., Central Festival on Bypass Rd Coliseum Paradise Multiplex is next to Ocean Shopping Mall on Tilok-U-Thit 1 Rd -
- Tel: SFX Coliseum’s phone +66 (0) 76 209 000 - Coliseum Paradise Multiplex’s Tel: +66 (0) 76 220 174
Fever Corner is a typical Thai-style beer garden with quite a few friendly good-looking hostesses around. Some customers hop from one place to another, probably looking for the best-looking companions as there are a few more similar venues along the same road, notably Sure Garden and Seng Tawan. People under 20 are not allowed in. Prices for food and drinks are quite cheap compared to most west-coast tourist bars.
- Opening Hours: 19:00 – late
- Location: Near Talingchan Bridge over the canal on Takuapa Road
Ka Jok See Restaurant & Bar
Ka Jok See (meaning 'stained glass window') is one of the most successful restaurants on the island. Without any advertising at all, the restaurant has been featured in countless top magazines and newspapers around the globe such as UK Glamour, Conde Nast Traveler and the New York Times. The front door is hidden behind a lovely ivy façade and the vintage shophouse features old wooden-beamed ceilings and is decorated with old photos and Thai crafts and objects. It's a great place for a candlelit romantic dinner or a special night out with friends as later into the night Khun Lek, the charming owner and great host, selects top music and completely turns Ka Jok See into a dance joint. Prices are reasonable but some items can be on the expensive side. Reservations are suggested
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday from 18:00 – 24:00
- Location: Near Khanasutra Indian Restaurant on Takua Pa Road, a short walk from the Rassada traffic circle
Kor Tor Mor Club
Kor Tor Mor is a popular pub/club that caters to trendy Thais. Located near the Seahorse Circle (sometimes known as Nimit Circle), it's usually packed every weekend and on some Friday nights it is all but impossible to get in. The house band plays Thai pop and rock nightly plus DJ's fire up the dance floor between the acts and later on. It's the perfect place to go if you want to get away from the mad Patong scene and mingle with locals. As is the norm in most Thai nightclubs there is no cover or corkage charge if you bring your own liquor (there's even a special garbage container outside for disposing opened liquor boxes) but you will need to pay for mixers, ice and beer. Don't wear shorts and sandals here – there's a dress code.
- Opening Hours: 21.00 - 02.00
- Location: Near the Seahorse Circle, Chana-Charoen Road (behind Robinson Department Store)
Michael's Bar, on Takua Pa Road off Rassada, is basically an expat hangout and features a pool table, sports TV, Internet connections and Western snacks. Regular Happy Hour is from 12:00 – 05:00 (or 16:00 – 19:00 in low season.).
- Location: Near Ka Jok See, Takua Pa Road
For the best Mojitos in town check out Music Matter (sic). Run by a local musician, the open-sided, hole-in-the-wall bar has hopping jazz jams every Wednesday night. Read More...
- Location: Not far from Ocean Plaza downtown, on a small soi between Tilok Utis 1 Road and Phuket Road. Music Matter is actually hiding behind a small restaurant that has long ivy at front.
Pink Chamois and Pink Lady
Located in the basement of the Metropole Hotel, Pink Chamois offers live music nightly sung karaoke-style by young and sexy girls as well as some private karaoke rooms. The same company owns two more similar venues in town but these don't feature live bands. These are the Pink Lady Club, behind Sengho Bookstore and Pink Lady 2002, not far from the Royal Phuket City Hotel. Pink Chamois and Pink Lady cater to Thais and other Asian men wanting to meet 'friendly girls'. Drinks are more expensive than in most other night venues in town, as are other 'services'.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 19:00 – 01:30
- Location: Pink Chamois is at the basement of the Metropole Hotel. Pink Lady is behind Sengho Bookstore on Montree Road. Pink Lady 2002 on Phang Nga Road near the junction of Montree Road.
Quip Sky Bar, Phuket Town’s first ever rooftop bar, brings a distinctly artistic touch to the old city, as well as some cool views and a rather unusual line-up of lobster dishes. Located upstairs at Quip Bed & Breakfast, the fifth floor al fresco space continues the hotel’s quirky and flamboyant style while providing a great spot to enjoy breezy evenings. Don’t be put off by the five flights of stairs up to Quip Sky Bar; one glance at the grinning pink rhino that greets you, not to mention the impressive views of the old city rooftops below, and you’ll soon realise the extra effort was well worth it. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 16:00 – 24:00
- Location: 5th Floor, Quip Bed & Breakfast, next to the corner of Phuket and Rasada Roads.
- Tel: +66 (0)7 635 5052, +66 (0)84 246 2222
Rockin' Angels is a must for music lovers and artists. The Singaporean owner is a guitarist and singer and an all-round nice guy and so impromptu jam sessions are the norm, with some very lively evenings. Read More...
- Location: From the Rassada traffic circle heading up Yaowarat Road, Rockin’Angels is on the left-hand side before the first traffic lights
Romdee (meaning 'feeling good') is located next door to Sineha Bar on Yaowarat Road. In a vintage shophouse converted it into a simple and friendly bar, it's an atmospheric meeting place.
- Location: Yaowarat Road, next to Sineha Bar
Owned and run by two Turkish brothers from Istanbul, Roxy was opened in 2007. A small but well-liked bar, Roxy offers live sport, darts, an English pub-sized pool table as well as a quiz night every Wednesday. Drinks are reasonably priced and their interesting menu features western, Mexican and Turkish food. In fact, it's the only place in town that serves real Turkish food. If you feel like something different, try the dolma, karniyarik, kebabs and kofte, they're all good. Many dishes come with fresh homemade yoghurt.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 16:00 -01:00
- Location: Near Bangkok Bank on Phang Nga Road, not far from the On On Hotel
Saxophone Pub & Restaurant is a recent addition (opened in March 2015) to the bustling dining/nightlife scene of Phuket Town. Located in the local nightlife heart of Phuket Town, right next to the Nimit Traffic Circle - commonly known as the ‘seahorses circle’, and Kor Tor Mor Club, Saxophone Pub is mostly a magnet for the young jet set of Phuket. Stylish and cool, it is definitely a recommendable place to spend a good time with friends while sipping a few drinks, eating decent Thai and international food, and listening to good music. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:30 – 02:00
- Location: at the end of Chana Charoen Road toward Nimit Circle; right next to Kor Tor Mor Club
- Tel: +66 (0)92 636 4519, +66 (0)81 911 9211
Siam Niramit Phuket is a tastefully done cultural extravaganza that adds variety and vitality to the island’s entertainment scene. Perfectly located just off the By-Pass Road in the outskirts of Phuket Town, it is set in prime lakeside land. The show features songs, dance routines and traditional martial arts.
Just like its sister theatre in Siam Niramit Bangkok, the Phuket show is very well put together by a professional and inspiring team; just sit back, relax and enjoy the historical perspectives of Thai arts and culture throughout this fantastic 70-minute performance. Read More...
- Opening Hours: The show runs once a day, six days a week, and is closed on Tuesdays
Show Time: 20:30. Theatre gates open at 20:00. Its attractions and facilities open at 17:30
- Location: Just off the By-Pass Road between Tesco-Lotus Supermarket and the Airport Road junction, Phuket Town.
Simon Star ladyboy cabaret show in Samkong, Phuket is definitely for everyone including families, couples and all-girl-get-together events. Some people come to see the transgender and transvestite show out of curiosity but many are simply looking for nothing but a fun night out.
Let’s put things straight: There’s not a single ‘real’ woman in this cabaret show. These lovely showgirls (some of them are stunningly beautiful) were once men. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Twice daily at 18:30 and 20:00
- Location: Simon Star Cabaret is in the Samkong Area of Phuket City. It is located in the same compound of a venue formally known as Phuket Orchid Garden & Thai Village behind Phuket Rajabhat University. You’ll also find a Thai-Chinese restaurant by the name Phuket Orchid Garden right next to it.
The stylish Sofa Pub is located at the entrance of an up-and-coming nightlight area called Limelight Avenue along New Dibuk Road. It has live bands and some interesting dishes including grilled prawns with lime as well as local-style spicy fish cakes. Sofa Pub is a regular hangout for Phuket yuppies and features a modern yet warm atmosphere with friendly service.
- Location: On New Dibuk Road, not far from Raya Restaurant. Look for the huge Chivas sign out front, you can’t miss it.
T2 Live Music
T2 is one of the main shakers when it comes to nightlife in Phuket Town. Again, it's popular with the Thai whisky & mixer set and it doesn't offer anything wildly original in terms of musical entertainment. The bands usually blast out Thai Indie stuff and the odd Western rock tune. The DJ plays a kind of techno-hip hop hybrid and it's all very, very loud. Not really a place to meet people because of the noise but if you're into dancing that's another story
- Opening Hours: 20:00 – late
- Location: By Surin Traffic Circle and the Metropole Hotel
Timber Hut is an institution on the Phuket Town nightlife scene. First opened way back in 1990, this Thai live music pub has been entertaining Phuket’s hi-so youngsters for years with a décor and ambiance that has barely changed over the years. Located on Yaowarat Road at the northern entrance of Phuket Old Town, Timber Hut is an old two-storey red brick building shaped rather like a chapel. It may sound like a paradox but Timber Hut looks exactly the opposite of its well-heeled and influential patrons as the place can seem like an old and dusty wooden hut. Read More...
- Location: Near the Merlin Hotel junction on Yaowarat Rd
Wonderland Phuket is the latest addition to Phuket Old Town’s bustling nightlife scene. It’s a classy cocktail and champagne lounge setup on Yaowarat Road in one of the vintage shop-houses which make up and give this charming and retro feeling in the Sino-Portuguese district of downtown Phuket. Setting foot in Wonderland Phuket is like stepping back in time or entering down a rabbit hole, with its red walls, Victorian-era chandeliers, stylish antiques and reproduction furniture, comfortable cushioned armchairs, beautifully-shaped mirrors – the décor and design here is well thought out and displays a lot of taste. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – 24:00
- Location: 104 Yaowarat Road in Phuket Old Town
- Remarks: Wonderland is a brand-new place still in its ‘soft-opening’ phase (the bar opens only on Saturdays) until the end of October 2013
- Tel: +66 (0)86 024 1907