Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) is an exciting watersport you can enjoy during your Phuket holiday. The sport was officially recognised and attributed to the Waikiki Beachboys in Hawaii in the 1960s, but it actually dates back thousands of years, when it's practised on most rivers and coastal areas in the southern hemisphere.
The warm and clear waters surrounding Phuket are an excellent playground for SUP, especially during high season. This cool nautical sporting activity doesn’t require any outstanding physical capacity or experience. You usually only need a few lessons to learn the proper position to balance yourself on the surfboard and to use the long-handle paddle. These companies offer stand-up paddleboarding courses, equipment rental, and tours in Phuket.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Skyla’s Surf & SUP
Skyla’s Surf & SUP Club, located in front of Catch Beach Club on Bangtao Beach, provides courses, board rental, SUP tours, and educational surf camps. Established by young and passionate surfers in the early 2000s, it's the first surfing-SUP school to open in Phuket.
An hour-long stand-up paddleboarding lesson costs around 1,000 baht. Skyla’s Surf & SUP Club offers SUP tours every day from November to April. Tours are also available during surfing season in Phuket, weather permitting.
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Sunday from 10am to 5.30pm (closed on Mondays)
- Location: 202/88 Moo 2, Cherngtalay, Muang, Phuket 83110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)82 519 3282
SSS Phuket on Patak Road offers tours and courses on a wide range of water sports. The centre specialises in scuba diving, snorkelling, freediving, surfing and stand-up paddleboarding. A committed instructor can teach you all the proper techniques and tricks to balance on and move your surfboard. If you're already familiar with stand-up paddling, SSS Phuket has plenty of boards for rent.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 8pm
- Location: 40/14 Kata Road, Karon, Muang, Phuket 83100, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)89 586 9920
Saltwater Dreaming Surf School Phuket
Established in 2001, Saltwater Dreaming Surf School Phuket is accredited by the NSSIA (National Surf Schools & Instructors Association) and run by a team of passionate surfers. You will find all the necessary equipment for surfing and stand-up paddleboarding in their well-stocked shop. Saltwater also offers lessons on surfing (low season) and SUP (high season) at reasonable rates.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 6pm
- Location: 108/3 Moo 3 Cherngtalay, Thalang, Phuket 83110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 390 664
Paddle Phuket is owned by Khun Tan, a registered tour guide who's very familiar with Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Khao Sok and Khao Lak. SUP tours start from 1,000 baht and are available in half-, full-, and 2-day options. You can cruise along a peaceful river to get to Phang Nga Bay, or explore the limestone karsts of Khao Sok.
Paddle Phuket also rents out hard and inflatable board for those who want to enjoy SUP on their own – prices start from 500 baht for 3 hours (minimum 2 boards per booking).
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from 9am to 8pm (closed on Sundays)
- Location: 29/22 Moo 2 Koh Kaew, Muang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)84 889 1278