Patong’s nightlife along Soi Bangla is forever changing. Many people returning after a year away are surprised to find their favourite bar or restaurant from the previous holiday gone with another sprung up in its place.
But some establishments endure, flourish, and in time become legends – communal lifelines to thousands of return visitors. Here are some of the best well-established bars in the Soi Bangla area of Patong Beach.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
This two-floored bar/pub is the epicentre of all things Antipodean on Soi Bangla. With a full menu and lots of beer choices including ice-cold stubbies, the Aussie Bar is great for families out for the evening. This large bar has lots of large-screen TVs showing sport (the owner is an avid Australian-rules fan) and three pool tables.
Open since 2000, Aussie has four bars with seating for 250 punters and there’s good Australian and Thai food served here. Being a family orientated establishment you’ll not find bar girls in the Aussie Bar so if the kids get restless after dinner you’ll know where to take them. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 03:00
- Location: Opposite Kangaroo Bar, at the entrance to Soi Gonzo
Situated on the right-hand side of the road as you walk up Bangla Road from the sea, Kangaroo has been here longer than the surf. Flanked by other long-timers U2 bar and Ned Kelly’s, the major draw of Kangaroo – apart from the easy-going atmosphere – is its tremendous collection of CDs played by the appropriately-named DJ Song and lining the walls are thousands of Polaroid shots of happy-looking customers.
Compact, open sided and spilling out onto Soi Bangla itself, it’s a surprisingly relaxed place, considering its location, and staff members are always ready with a joke and a smile. Prices are pretty typical for this area and the bar stays open from late morning to early the next morning. Do not, under any circumstance, ring the bar bell!
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – late
- Location: Opposite Soi Easy (Aussie Bar)
Red Hot is an almost exact identikit reincarnation of Margarita’s that stood on the same spot for over 10 years. It has all the same features, including wide-screen TVs showing sports, a pool table, loud and proud live music, a good range of reasonably-priced food that is served until late, and enviable people-watching spots with views of the crowds surging by on Bangla Road.
Red Hot is not exactly the ideal place for tea, muffins and a polite conversation as the music (starting at 20:00) can get very loud and the place hops later on. If you’re looking for some night action with the feeling of being right in the heart of things then Red Hot is perfect. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 04:00
- Location: Jungceylon end of Bangla Road, Patong
- Tel: +66 (0)7 625 4142, +66 (0)89 952 0316
Sunset Bar is a long-established and popular watering hole on Bangla Road. Located next to a pharmacy (they have hang-over drugs for sale, phew!) at the beginning of a row of cool bars - U2, Heroes, and Kangaroo Bar - the venue is rather packed after 22:00 due to a winning combination of assets including fair-priced drinks, hassle-free ambiance, and charming open-minded waitresses.
- Opening Hours: 14:30 – 02:30
- Location: Between a pharmacy and Kangaroo 2 Bar on Bangla Road
Open since 1999, Tai Pan has the reputation of having the most generous prizes in town for bar contests. But just what will you do with that motor scooter you just won? Give it away, that’s what – there are more than enough Thai ladies who frequent Tai Pan who would appreciate the gift.
Tai Pan is a late-night destination where people like to congregate and groove to resident and guest DJs through the small hours. Some say it’s a club, others say it’s a bar but it doesn’t matter much as either way Tai Pan is loud, busy and often the best place around to get down to the music. Good happy hour deals. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Late afternoon – late
- Location: Rat-U-Thit Road diagonally opposite Soi Bangla