The Big Chicken Restaurant in Phuket
Krua Tungtong - Traditional Thai and Issan Food in Kathu0
Krua Tungtong, a popular restaurant in Kathu, is better known by its nickname ‘The Big Chicken.’ It’s easy to understand why, once you spot the enormous statue of a rooster in front of the venue by the side of the road in Kathu between Phuket Town and Patong.
It’s inviting people to come in and try the traditional Thai and Issan food from the northeast region of Thailand known for its spiciness; dishes such as som tam (green papaya salad) and soup nor mai (shredded bamboo-shoot salad).
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
Most of the regular customers (many are family groups) come here for the authentic food and already know what to order first – the grilled chicken or kai yang. It’s well seasoned and cooked just right; the perfect combination is to have it with sticky rice.
Krua Tungtong’s menu features a good selection of meat, pork, seafood and chicken dishes. They have quite a few vegetarian items too.
Some recommended dishes are:
Koh moo yang - Grilled pork Issan style
Nam neaung - Vietnamese summer roll
Kong pan oy - Fried mince shrimp on sugarcane stick
Pad pak bung - Fried morning glory with soy sauce
Pla nung manao - Steamed whole fish with lime, garlic and herbs
Pla tod takai – Deep-fried fish with lemongrass
If you're feeling adventurous you could try naam end kai tod (or deep-fried salted and sour chicken tendons) and tom sap kra dook on (spicy pork cartilage soup with herbs). The naam end kai tod makes a great hors d'oeuvre and goes well with a cold beer.
The ambiance at The Big Chicken isn't much but it’s comfortable enough with wooden tables and chairs. When it’s not too warm, you can sit outside but the air-con room always comes in quite handy on a hot summer’s day in Phuket. The food quality is consistently good with generous portions. Prices are very reasonable (some dishes are considered cheap for a restaurant this size) with Thai dishes from 40 – 90 baht per dish.
The service is extremely attentive and all of the staff members whose main job is to clear the tables and sometime serve food are Burmese. Though they appear to have limited Thai and English, it’s never been a problem; they are usually very good in getting what you have asked for.
Big Chicken Restaurant
- Opening Hours: 11:00 - 21:30
- Location: In front of Anuphas Manorom Estate on Wichit Songkram Road, Kathu. It’s right opposite the Phuket Country Club golf course and not far from the Prince of Songkla University, Phuket Campus (PSU) and the Bang Wad Reservoir. If coming from Phuket and heading to Patong, the Big Chicken is on your right-hand side.
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 321546 or +66 (0) 76 319263
- Cuisine: Thai, Issan style food, seafood and some Vietnamese items
You May Also Like