Boathouse Friday Jazz Nights
Food for the Soul at Kata Beach0
Boathouse has inimitable style and has come up with another winning idea: Friday evening jazz over dinner. There’s just something about a good glass of wine, a gourmet meal, and good jazz music. This combination is a triumvirate of temptation, yet complementing the Friday jazz evenings at Kata Beach’s Boathouse is another sort of trio; none other than Moe’s Jazz Trio.
Boathouse at dusk has got to be one of the most exotic and alluring places on the island to raise a cocktail to the setting sun. The colours are more intense, the horizon redefines itself, and sea breezes filtering through the open French windows, along with the sound of breaking surf, underscore the fact that Boathouse doesn’t have a rock-solid reputation for excellence for nothing. Boathouse will figure prominently on any savvy traveler’s list of five-star Phuket experiences to sample.
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
We sip a couple of cocktails as the band sets up then choose a table parallel to the floor-level ‘stage’ and sample an amuse bouche before enjoying wonton ravioli with prawns in shellfish and morel sauce (the menu also offers the choice of fricassée of wild mushrooms with tomato, white wine, and herbs on creamed polenta).
This is accompanied by a Cotes de Provence 2011 Pétale de Rose whose flavours enhance the lighter essences of the dishes. Seared Tasmanian salmon with a dash of potato purée, asparagus, and dill cream sauce is next and again, this gourmet-wine-jazz combination is absolutely delicious.
A pot au chocolate with sea salt and chocolate flakes is served and we dare one more glass of the excellent rosé before moving on to coffee and tea.
As for the music, this is not the place to hear any pounded-out flattened tenth Thelonious Monk improvisations or wailing Coltrane-like sax. No, the piano-double-bass-drums trio knocks out piece after piece of solid, fast-moving keyboards-led jazz, with the occasional flash of ‘fours’ (where each player plays four-bar solo breaks before the band rejoins the original melody). And even though we’re sitting right next to the band we are able to maintain a rich dinner conversation without so much as ever having to raise our voices. So there are no worries when it comes to obtrusive sound levels – it’s all acoustic.
It’s been an excellent evening full of both tasty food and music in an excellent setting. One important note is that Boathouse has a valet service so it doesn’t matter if the car park is full: simply leave your keys with the valet and your car will be looked after. Recommended.
Boathouse Wine & Grill
- Opening Hours: from 19:00 – get there for sunset
- Location: In south Kata Beach. If you are coming from Patong, pass through Kata centre and carry on past Club Med then take a right at the ultimate T-junction. The hotel is 300 metres to the right.
- Price Range: The Friday Jazz Night four-course menu costs 1,500 baht ++
You May Also Like