Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar in Phuket
World-class Fine Dining in Bangtao0
Chef Daniel's Gastro Bar has closed and should reopen in October 2014 as a Mexican restaurant. Chef Daniel Isberg's new restaurant is Home Kitchen, Bar & Bed at Kalim Beach
Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar is a world-class gastronomic bistro located near the entrance of Soi Bangtao 1, opposite Surin Tesco Lotus Park. Although it doesn't exactly boast the most sexy of locations in the world, it does take advantage of the ample parking spaces available. However, the main interest here resides within the walls of this rather small venue (40 seats), which is run by a multi-talented, internationally recognised chef whose motto is: “to be Chef is not a job, it is a lifestyle”.
Daniel Isberg was born in Sweden where he followed cooking courses before continuing his apprenticeship on the field by travelling around the world including time spent in France, Greece, Thailand (where besides Thai cooking he also learned Thai boxing in Koh Samui), Monaco and USA. His long and multi-faceted culinary experience reached a certain climax while he cooked private dinners for VIPs such as Bill Gates, Robin Williams, Sean Connery, and the Swedish Royal Family, to name but a few. After being involved in the launching of about 12 restaurants and lounge clubs all around the world and always in quest of new challenges, he settled in Phuket in 2008, working as a consultant in several high-end establishments and in the catering business for wealthy people’s private parties (which he still does nowadays) before opening Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar in 2013.
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar is a fashionable white-themed bistro featuring four distinct areas: outdoor, six tables are set under large white umbrellas on a 15sqm artificial turf; in front of the entrance door, four tables are set on a covered elevated terrace; indoor, right at the entrance, a superb illuminated bar counter (designed by John Underwood) stands on the right-hand side while a six seater table stands on the left; at the backside, the large open kitchen allows guests to watch the Chef in action.
Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar’s atmosphere is pretty casual; its location which at first sight seems not really appealing is finely appreciable for its tranquility as there’s absolutely no traffic on Soi Bangtao 1, and the main road is far enough to not be heard from the restaurant. Cool tunes by Amy Winehouse, Cakes, and other groovy performers rock the venue in an unobtrusive way through a good sound system. Indeed an agreeable place to dine.
Chef Daniel’s long culinary experience and demanding nature for top quality products create the outstanding savours of his signature dishes. The four-course menu we had the pleasure to sample at his weekly ‘Chef Dinner’ (every Tuesdays, all year round – reservation mandatory) offers diners the chance to discover haute-cuisine all at a reasonable price (950 baht plus drinks):
- First course: Porcini mushroom & truffle cappuccino with macaroni/cheese lollipop
- Second course: Pan seared scallops on a bed of cauliflower with yellow curry cream, crispy leek julienne & slow roasted cherry tomatoes
- Main course: Black pepper grilled Wagyu beef with broccoli cream, marsala sauce, potato cigar & crispy shoestring beetroots
- Dessert: Black & white chocolate lava cake with white espresso and cherry/chili compote
Expertly prepared and presented, all dishes are exceptional; accompanied with an excellent Australian house wine (195 baht per glass), Daniel Isberg’s Chef Dinner is more than recommendable for all Epicureans visiting Phuket. Please note that during low season (May – August) Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar is only open on Tuesdays but private dinners can be organised on call; please also note that the menu for the 'Chef Dinner' may vary according to the products available on that day, and on the inspiration of the Chef. Besides Gastro Bar, Daniel Isberg has opened The Mexican Restaurant on Soi Absolute off Patong Beach's famous Bangla Road, and runs his CDI - Private Catering company.
Chef Daniel’s Gastro Bar
- Opening Hours: 16:00 – 23:00
- Location: Between Cherng Talay and Surin Beach on Bangtao Soi 1 off Srisoontorn Road (the Soi is opposite Surin Tesco Lotus Park)
- Remarks: Reservation recommended (mandatory for 'Chef Dinner')
- Tel: 093-764 6753
You May Also Like