Elephant Sanctuaries in Phuket have very rapidly become very popular as the attitude towards animal-based attractions changes. The emphasis at these camps is on ethical, animal-friendly interaction with these majestic creatures, many of whom have been rescued or retired from the local logging and elephant trekking industries. The welfare of the residents is often the first priority of such places.
If meeting elephants up close is on your bucket list for your trip to Phuket, these parks are the best places to do so in a way which causes the minimum harm and disturbance to them. You'll also learn far more about the gentle giants than you would from a short ride on their back, and both you and the elephants are far more likely to have a fun time together.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Phuket Elephant SanctuaryPaklok, nr Phuket Town
Phuket Elephant Sanctuary was the pioneer of ethical elephant tourism in the area and goes to great pains to create as natural and peaceful an environment as possible for their residents. While you can watch and walk with the majestic creatures and learn a lot about the individuals, interaction beyond that is kept to a strict minimum. There are morning and afternoon tours available and you can volunteer at the sanctuary. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9.30am to 5pm
- Location: 100 Moo 2, Paklok, Thalang, Phuket 83110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 529 099
Elephant Jungle Sanctuary PhuketNaithon Beach
Elephant Jungle Sanctuary was among the first of the ethical elephant attractions in Thailand in their Chiang Mai location. Now boasting 4 venues (Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui), their half-day visits are the cheapest in the area. You'll be allowed to touch, feed and photograph the elephants, as well as giving them a mud bath and then a rinse in the river. Collection from your Phuket hotel is included in the price of the tour.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6am to 6pm
- Location: 2/12 Moo 6, Kathu, Phuket 83120, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)94 663 6592
Elephant Retirement Park PhuketBangtao Beach
The Elephant Retirement Park still allows quite a lot of physical interaction with their residents, including giving them a mud bath and a wash. However, they still take the welfare of the elephants seriously, allowing only small groups and no riding. Aside from the usual morning and afternoon tours, there are also special private and corporate packages as well as volunteer programmes for up to 3 days. Collection from your hotel anywhere in Phuket is included in the price.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7.30am to 5pm
- Location: 392/5 Soi Cherngtalay 1, Cherngtalay, Thalang, Phuket 83110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 608 945
Phang Nga Elephant ParkPhang Nga
Phang Nga Elephant Park is about an hour’s drive from Phuket, but transfers are available to get you there for the morning or afternoon tours. Their “Elephant Care Experience” packages include feeding and bathing the residents and, uniquely, riding on their necks like a mahout, which is significantly less harmful than the old style of riding right on the spine. This is only available for those over the age of 7. Children under that age can have the “Family Elephant Experience”, which is much gentler.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9.30am to 6pm
- Location: 49/1 Moo 3, Thung Kha Ngok, Muang, Phang-nga 82000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)85 351 5536