Koh Rang Yai is a peaceful island lying about 5 km off the east coast of Phuket. Its western side has a 1-km-long beach that's often busy with travellers on day trips to Phang Nga Bay. Swimmers might notice that the southward current is parallel to the entire length of the beach, with very warm waters – usually between 25°C to 35°C.
Koh Rang Yai's shady and tree-lined beach has several pathways for strolling and hiking. You can even cycle on the paths, though they're rather rickety in parts. You’ll also notice a small football pitch, an air-gun shooting range, a mini-golf course, along with a volleyball net on the beach.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
What to do in Koh Rang Yai
On Koh Rang Yai's western-facing beach, you can enjoy water sports (including sea kayaks) and sunbathe in the afternoons. Adventurous travellers can find pretty good snorkelling near the headland rocks. If you need to refuel, there are a couple of restaurants and bars close to the large trees on the beach.
Koh Rang Yai Island is very relaxing and typically tropic. The only ‘serious’ facet of the island is a pearl farm that receives daily visits to its pearl shop, which is worth a look if you're looking for souvenirs.
How to get to Koh Rang Yai Island
The easiest way to get to Koh Rang Yai is by joining a day tour, it’s quite possible to kayak from Phuket. Note that this option isn't recommended when the weather is poor. You can also enjoy a 20-minute ride on a longtail boat from Phuket’s Laem Hin Pier, just north of Phuket Town.
You can stay at bamboo-and-thatch bungalows to the north of Koh Rang Yai's beach. Several basic bungalows are located further in, towards the centre of this small island.
Koh Rang Yai Island
- Location: Ko Kaeo, Muang, Phuket 83000, Thailand