Le Winch Restaurant at Boat lagoon Phuket
Intimate and Friendly Dining Experience0
Le Winch, at Phuket’s east coast Boat Lagoon, run by Chef Vincent Meuwly from Lausanne, is a cosy, 40-cover restaurant with loads of personal and welcoming touches. Being on the opposite side of the lagoon from most of the shopping, businesses and restaurants hasn’t seemed to have adversely affected Le Winch’s success and the restaurant is popular with yachties and locals.
Le Winch is recommendable in that it presents a regular plat du jour and a menu offering wholesome and unpretentious French fare with an emphasis on absolute freshness prepared by Vincent himself who, by the way, insists on serving food on piping hot plates.Read More
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Décor and Atmosphere
In fact, the whole setup at Le Winch has a distinctly personal touch to it and the almost minimalist décor was designed and executed by Vincent. With buffed concrete floors and bar, only seven tables (with an extra two outside), a sofa area with fashionable and yacht-themed magazines and amusing books, plus a rather engaging taste in music, the restaurant is convivial and on the intimate side.
One particularly appealing aspect is its westerly views out over the ‘spine’ of Phuket’s central hills: to watch the sun slip down below them is to witness a celestial fireworks show.
Food and Wine
For starters we sample bacon crust asparagus with parmesan flakes and balsamic vinaigrette along with cherry tomato salad, Parma ham slices, cherry tomatoes, and parmesan. This is decidedly hearty stuff and a far cry from the effete amuse bouches to be found over on the other side of the lagoon; real yachtie stuff, indeed.
Mains consist of quite simply the best vol-au-vent I’ve tasted in Thailand along with sautéed potatoes and a pork cordon bleu, also with sautéed potatoes. Personally, even though the generously proportioned (read huge) vol-au-vent was outstanding I couldn’t finish it all and so went the way of most diners in Thailand who have over-ordered and had it bagged up to take home.
All this is washed down by an excellent Chilean cabernet sauvignon and topped off with a cheeky glass of grappa enjoyed outside in the exterior sofa section while admiring the yachts and speedboats moored alongside the restaurant.
For an intimate and friendly dining experience in almost eclectic surroundings with a decidedly Gallic touch, Le Winch brings home the goods.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Monday lunch 11:00 – 14:30, Tuesday – Saturday 11:00 – 14:30 and 18:00 – 22:00. Closed Sunday
- Location: In Marine Plaza, Boat Lagoon Thepkasattri Road. Take the first right after the security guard.
- Tel: +66 (0)84 842 8228