Mee Ton Poe Restaurant in Phuket
Phuket Original Hokkien Noodles0
A great way to get a typical taste of Phuket is by going to Mee Ton Poe, a noodle institution located by the Surin traffic circle in Phuket Town (the one with the clock tower in it). The shop is famous for its signature dish – stir-fried Hokkien mee or Hokkien noodles, consumed by local folks since 1946.
The thick yellow fried noodles with seafood, pork and vegetables toppings are best served with a half-cooked egg on top and accompanied by iced tea or sweet coconut drink. The restaurant can be very busy at midday and you may have to share a table with strangers.Read More
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Excursion by Speedboat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Mee Ton Poe Restaurant (sometimes written Mee Ton Poh) has been owned by the same family for three generations and there’s a buzz in the air at lunchtime as hungry locals come here for a quick but delicious plate. Most people add some seasoning on the noodles according to their taste including dried red chilli, a bit of sugar and vinegar. It’s also common to enjoy this dish with pork crackling (or gaak moo) and shallots as side dishes. They are usually available on the table next to the seasoning tray.
Don't forget to order a plate of pork satay to go along with it. Also on the menu are rice and other noodle-style dishes as well as khao raat gaeng. The latter is plain rice topped with (your) choices of food such as red curry and fried vegetables. These are typical, simple and delicious lunch dishes found nationwide. Expect to pay around 60 – 150 baht per person depending on how hungry you are. For example, a noodle dish, a set of 10 satay sticks and a drink will cost about 150 baht while a plate of Hokkien mee is 35 – 60 baht.
Mee Ton Poe has a second branch in Kathu on the road leading from the main Tesco Lotus Mall in Phuket Town to Patong Beach, not far from the Caltex junction. It’s modern with a Chinese feel to it and is definitely more comfortable than the original outlet. Open daily from 09:00- 20:00.
Hokkien noodles are believed to have arrived with the early Chinese immigrants who settled around Southeast Asia – hence the popularity of the dish throughout the region.
Mee Ton Poe
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Daily from 08:00 – 20:00
- Location: On Phuket Road, facing both the Metropole Hotel and the Surin Clock Tower at the traffic circle. It’s easy to spot with signage in both English and Thai.
You May Also Like