Mekhong Elite Table is a unique dining experience which sees ‘the Spirit of Thailand’ – Mekhong whiskey - paired with the cuisine which has made the country famous around the world. The event demonstrates that you need not only consider wine as an accompaniment to your fine dinner.
Although it is commonly referred to as a whiskey, Mekhong is actually a dark rum based on molasses and broken-milled sticky rice, balanced with Thai spices. The aroma and subtle flavours complement the spiciness of first-class Thai dishes, such as those which were served at the special event at Blue Elephant Phuket on 28 July 2015.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
“Pairing Thai food with Mekhong-based cocktails is truly possible,” said Chef Nooror Somany-Steppé, owner and head chef at Blue Elephant. “The core of menu creation is to create balances of tastes made from pairing between the King and the Queen of ingredients. They complement each other to a level which helps elevate Thai cuisine to a unique fine dining experience that offers a seamless blend of cosmopolitan and traditional Thai styles.”
In the case of Pla Koong with Mangosteen, the perfect partner is the well-known Mekhong Thai Sabai. Made from 45ml Mekhong, 25ml fresh lime juice, 30ml sugar syrup, a splash of soda and a handful of Thai sweet basil leaves, the sweet and sour beverage amplifies the spicy notes of the tasty starter. It also works well with the Mekhong which helps to make the ginger wasabi sauce!
A favourite of ours was the Tumee Curry with Ching Chung Fish Chilli Paste, which is served with turmeric and riceberry rice and paired with the Mekhong Mantra. The Phuket-style curry with its exotic ingredients and ideal level of spice is well matched with the cool, subtle cocktail.
The Mekhong Elite Table events are invitation-only. However, you can still enjoy the fine flavours found there by visiting Blue Elephant Restaurant in Phuket Town and asking for recommended pairings with Thailand’s King of Spirits. They also have first-rate cooking classes on offer, teaching you to create the outstanding Thai dishes the restaurant routinely serves for yourself.
Blue Elephant Restaurant
- Opening Hours: Open daily 11:30 – 14:30 and 18:30 – 22:30
- Location: 96 Krabi Road, Phuket Town
- Tel: +66 (0)76 354 355 - +66 (0)76 354 357