Music Matter is the temple of jazz music in Phuket Town. This long-established, unpretentious bar is the ‘baby’ of a passionate talented musician, Jeffrey Sevilla, who opened it in 2000 as a way to offer Phuket Island its first and only venue entirely dedicated to jazz music. In association with UNESCO, Music Matter has been in charge of organising the yearly International Jazz Day in Phuket since 2012.
Music Matter is a place for music lovers and players. Here, all types of jazz, from mainstream to Latin to soul to funk to swing, are performed by skilled local and international musicians (please note that they play for free). Every Wednesday from 22:00 ‘til late, a jamming session gathers professional and amateurs musicians in a cool explosion of subtle melodies and impressively technical musical performances.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Music Matter perfectly blends the hip and coolness of jazz music in its décor and atmosphere. Located on Chana Charoen Road, near the intersection with Surin Road, it is definitely an original venue. Small and vividly colourful, most of the guest tables and chairs are randomly installed right on the street itself, with just enough space between for the few vehicles passing through this street at night.
The ambiance of the venue is positively laid-back and friendly. Anyone who wants to join the band and perform is welcome to do so. All instruments are plugged in and ready to be played all the time, and Jeffrey is ready to accompany anyone with its keyboard. As George Gershwin said, “life is a lot like jazz – it’s best when you improvise.”
Two charming barmaids are in charge of the drinks at Music Matter. The venue is renowned for the quality of its cocktails, which are not only expertly mixed (try out their Mojito, it is simply sublime!), they are also reasonably priced: only 150 baht. The rest of the drinks list features all the usual suspects in any quality watering hole, from soft drinks to spirits to liquors to fruit shakes and juices with prices ranging from 50 baht (Coke) to 120 baht (whisky Coke).
Summing up, even if you have no special taste for jazz music, or no particular knowledge about it, Music Matter is really a nice joint to be introduced to this artful style of music and spend a relaxing evening listening to cool, clever beats in the heart of Phuket Town.
- Opening Hours: 19:30 – late
- Location: near the intersection of Chana Charoen and Surin roads in Phuket Town
- Remarks: please call Jeffrey before to go to ensure the bar is opened on that day
- Tel: +66 (0)89 588 2347