Paramotoring in Phuket is a chance for anyone to see the island from a totally different angle. Sky Club Asia was established in Hua Hin in 2007 and opened its Phuket branch in 2013. Under Austrian management, this company’s main job is to teach how to fly with a paramotor (aka powered paraglider). Tandem flights are also very popular for those who do not have the time or inclination to learn and fly by themselves.
Based at Pa Khlok Airfield (commonly known as ‘Buffalo Airfield’) on the east coast of Phuket, Sky Club Asia is run and frequented by extremely serious and professional enthusiasts who have long experience in flying with paramotors. Most of them started with paragliding before adding the engine and propeller, offering them more opportunity to explore. Paramotoring is really an activity that gives an over the top sensation of freedom.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Paramotoring is one of the safest forms of flights. At Sky Club Asia, safety is the main priority and all the equipment is from top-notch German brands and are perfectly maintained. Before each flight, all security issues are double-checked by the pilot/instructor, who verifies each retention strap, carabineer and instrument.
There are two paramotoring options at Sky Club Asia: courses are given for standalone flights with harness (with integrated seat) installed on the back of the pilot, and tandem flights are done with a two-seat ultra-light trike. The former requires a certain degree of fitness as the equipment weights about 20kg (engine plus propeller), while the latter is somewhat easier as no real physical action is demanded for taking off and landing.
Regarding tandem flights, Sky Club Asia doesn’t have pre-scheduled circuits above Phuket. A flight can last up to three hours maximum, and easily covers Phuket Island – minus the area close to Phuket International Airport, which is out of bounds. It is pretty difficult to establish a precise flight plan in Phuket due to the vagaries of the winds and, paradoxically, it is almost easier to fly a paramotor in low season than it is in high season (low season’s west winds are more constant and predictable).
Summing up, paramotoring with Sky Club Asia is a very safe and exhilarating way to feel like an eagle gliding above the turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea or the emerald waters of Phang Nga Bay, watching people reduced to the size of ants, and being united with the elements of nature: paramotoring is, without doubt, one of the last activities offering such a powerful feeling of freedom. Do not miss it if you come by Phuket for holiday; it is a unique experience.
Sky Club Asia
- Opening Hours: Daily – best time for flying is very early morning
- Location: Phuket Pa Khlok Airfield. From Phuket Heroines circle on Thepkasattri Road, head east on Road 4027, the airfield is about six kilometres away on the right-hand side.
- Tel: 087 401 1113