Quip Sky Bar, Phuket Town’s first ever rooftop bar, brings a distinctly artistic touch to the old city, as well as some cool views and a rather unusual line-up of lobster dishes. Located upstairs at Quip Bed & Breakfast, the fifth floor al fresco space continues the hotel’s quirky and flamboyant style while providing a great spot to enjoy breezy evenings.
Don’t be put off by the five flights of stairs up to Quip Sky Bar; one glance at the grinning pink rhino that greets you, not to mention the impressive views of the old city rooftops below, and you’ll soon realise the extra effort was well worth it.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
The venue is split into two zones, with the one closer to the entrance undercover (good thing for rainy season), featuring a brightly-lit bar with the biggest bar bell in Phuket! It’s off with your shoes if you want to sit in the adjacent alfresco area, which has a slightly raised wooden deck surrounded by a fishpond. A creative arrangement of netting in a metal frame creates hammock-like seatbacks which overhang the pond for ultimate relaxation, but the low glass tables also have cushions and short chairs around them, too.
Half of Quip Sky Bar’s menu is taken up with beers, wines and cocktails, which include old favourites (Mojito, Long Island Iced Tea, Margarita, Mai Tai, etc – all 199 baht) and a few specials, including the signature For Love Quip Sky (rum, tequila, triple sec and strawberry – 299 baht).
The other half of the menu is best enjoyed at the tables and chairs of the bar area, which also features a number of flat-screen televisions showing live sports. The menu is international, but leans heavily towards Thai dishes and makes extensive use of Phuket’s famous rock lobsters, which are featured in more than half of the dishes. Highlights include the deep fried lobster wontons (390 baht), lobster Pad Thai (390 baht) and beef satay, served on a hot plate instead of the more common sticks (220 baht). The dishes are tasty, if a little unorthodox (see the lobster with Mama-style noodles), and well prepared by a team of two experienced Thai chefs.
Quip Sky Bar is primary a very relaxed, chilled out place, with easy-listening tunes playing over the sound of Phuket and Rasada Roads below. Its artistic décor fits with the area’s historic feel and the hotel’s quirky feel well and it provides a great place to chill out at the end of the day and enjoy some fine food in an unpretentious atmosphere.
Quip Sky Bar - Phuket
- Opening Hours: 16:00 – 24:00
- Location: 5th Floor, Quip Bed & Breakfast, next to the corner of Phuket and Rasada Roads.
- Tel: +66 (0)7 635 5052, +66 (0)84 246 2222
- Cuisine: Thai, Seafood, International