Sea Gypsies Fish Market, also called Rawai Seafood Market, offers a wide range of fresh seafood in Rawai Beach. Your purchase benefits the local community and family-run businesses. You can carry your still-wriggling fish and shellfish across the road, where restaurants can prepare them to your liking.
Located to the left of Rawai Pier, this open-air fish market spans around 100 metres in length. Lining the coastal side of the promenade are dozens of stalls operated by different local families. Several local restaurants can be found on the Sea Gypsies Fish Market's inland side.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Highlights of Sea Gypsies Fish Market in Phuket
The Sea Gypsies Fish Market is one of Phuket's busiest marketplaces. Most of the stands have bubbling tanks and buckets of live seafood, while butchered samples lied in beds of ice. Prices are pretty similar from stall to stall, generally set by kg. Most have price tags, but you can still bargain for a better deal – it’s all part of the fun.
Each stall is family-run, with their boats lined up by the shore behind them. Some land unique catches, such as brightly-coloured groupers and rock lobsters.
Good to know about Sea Gypsies Fish Market in Phuket
The dining experience at Sea Gypsies Fish Market often involves carrying your catch over the road to one of its many seafood restaurants. Most of the shops have signage in English, Russian and Chinese to cater to foreign tourists in Phuket.
The seafood market is also very popular with locals – most of the preparations come from Thai dishes, including prawns in tamarind sauce, mussels in garlic-chilli sauce, or whole deep-fried sea bass in sweet and sour sauce.
Visiting the Sea Gypsies Fish Market in Phuket is well worth your time, even if you’re not particularly hungry. If you are, the best time to go is about lunchtime, when the catch is at its freshest.
More Photos of Sea Gypsies Fish Market
Sea Gypsies Fish Market in Phuket
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 9pm (hours may vary)
- Location: Wiset Road, Rawai Beach, Rawai, Phuket 83130, Thailand