The southern part of Phuket Island has always been regarded as a more residential area than a tourist destination. Having said that, the sunset viewpoint of Phromthep Cape is positively bustling on a nightly basis and the nightlife scene along Rawai’s beachfront is growing slowly but surely. However, it is the restaurant scene that truly reflects the suburban nature of this district.
Put simply, there are restaurants of wildly varying styles and qualities scattered everywhere – down back streets, in the most unlikely of places and lining the main drags of Wichit Road and Soi Sai Yuan. Here are some of the best places to dine in Rawai and Nai Harn.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Operating since time immemorial, Nikita’s is a firm local favourite for a number of very good reasons. It has recently added a kitchen (previously it enjoyed a symbiotic relationship with the restaurant next door) with spectacular results and has morphed from being a ‘bar with food’ to a full-blooded restaurant serving quality western and Thai dishes (try the massaman curry – highly recommended).
Located right by the Rawai waterfront, Nikita’s is a lovely afternoon destination to watch the fishing boats and yachts pass by and the local sea gypsy children frolic in the tide. Reasonably priced with a canny wine selection, it’s deservedly a Rawai institution. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - late
- Location: Wiset Road, Rawai Beach
- Tel: +66 (0)7 628 8703
Located in Serenity Terraces, a chic resort on Phuket’s east coast, East 88 does a good line in Mediterranean dishes as well as Thai favourites and western comfort food. Atmospheric and modern in design, the restaurant borders the shoreline and benefits from the sea breezes and views out to Coral and Lone islands and it’s a good place to go for an afternoon chill out with children as it has its own swimming pool.
East 88 also has a pretty good and varied wine list and is a happening place with live music and a traditional dancing show on a weekly basis. Read More...
- Location: in Serenity Resort & Residences
- Tel: +66 (0)7 637 1900
Friendship Beach is somewhat enigmatic as it not only serves American comfort food but also the healthiest dishes available around this area. As one can imagine, this is good news for both camps of the taste vs. health divide and it’s all the more appealing as it is beachside and has a swimming pool.
So if its raw cuisine bursting with enzymes and vitamins that you’re after, or simply a burger and chips, you can have it both ways at Friendship Beach. The ideal family destination, Friendship is a popular for long, lazy Sunday afternoons. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 08:00 – 23:00
- Location: in Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort
- Tel: +66 (0)7 628 8996
The Family largely purports to serve Mediterranean food but there’s definitely a Middle-Eastern twist to what’s on offer here as well as western and Thai dishes so, as you can imagine, the menu is bulky.
Located right next to Tesco Park on the main Chalong-Rawai road, The Family is popular with hard-working expats who order ahead and take away the robust and value-for-money food; indeed many of the dishes are hard to finish, they’re so generously proportioned. The pita bread here is baked to perfection and is a great base for the many spicy and exotic offerings on the menu. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tue - Sun 12:00 – 22:00 (Closed Mon)
- Location: Next to Tesco Lotus on Wiset Road
- Tel: +66 (0)7 628 0454
Rawai View Café & Bar is a charming venue located slightly off the beaten track, toward the southern end of Rawai Beach. Set in a well thought-out, thatch-roofed, open-sided wooden house, the restaurant’s terrace offers great views of the bay and beach of Rawai through the branches of tropical almond trees.
Rawai View Café & Bar is a respected venue. A sign that it does things right is that it is often frequented by other Phuket restaurant managers, who go there to unwind and enjoy simple yet delicious Thai and international delicacies prepared and served by a very competent team. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 14:00 - 22:00 in low season, 10:00 - 24:00 in high season
- Location: at the southern end of Rawai Beach
- Tel: +66 (0)86 690 2976, +66 (0)82 940 4621
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/Rawai-View-Cafe-Bar-ร้านอาหารราไวย์-วิว-444848149012170/