Here’s a definitive list of Phuket’s best Thai restaurants where the chilies are fiery, the service is hot and the ambience spicy. The restaurants featured here are not necessarily the cheapest deals on Phuket and represent more the top end of Thai dining on the island.
We’ve all done it at least once: gone to a ‘Thai’ restaurant in anticipation of a real feast only to have been served not very spicy curry, watery tom yam kung, and ultra-greasy pad Thai. Yup, even in Thailand – and especially in tourist areas – you can draw the short straw when it comes to genuine Thai food in a real Thai ambience.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Mom Tri’s KitchenKata Noi
Mom Tri’s Kitchen is a fine-dining experience with one of the finest wine cellars in the country, yet you can enjoy down-home and expertly prepared Thai food here. Simple dishes such as som tam (green papaya salad) are lovingly rendered with delicate flavours and fine textures. Try a fish dish here and you’ll be blown away; it’s excellent stuff. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7am to 11pm
- Address: 12 Kata Noi Road, Karon, Mueang, Mueang, Phuket 83100, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 333 568
One Chun RestaurantPhuket Town
One Chun Café & Restaurant serves authentic Thai cuisine with a preference for southern dishes at affordable prices in the relaxed atmosphere of vintage décor. Located on Thepkasattri Road’s last section in Phuket Old Town, One Chun is set in a historical building dating back early 20th century. When it comes to food, there's no doubt that One Chun is amongst the best Thai restaurants in Phuket as its daily high-level of occupancy – mainly of whom are locals – really speaks for itself.
The most popular dish here is crab meat curry in coconut milk – blending the sweet soft taste of coconut with the slow-burning effects of curry in addition to the freshness and typical taste of crab meat is indeed a winner. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10pm
- Location: 48/1 Thepkasattri Road, Talat Yai, Phuket Town, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 355 909
Ka Jok See RestaurantPhuket Town
Known more for its nightly party atmosphere, Ka Jok See actually serves up well-prepared Thai dishes in portions fit for sharing. One of the longest-running establishments on the island, expect dishes based on traditional Thai recipes with a few twists here and there. You’ll have to reserve ahead at Ka Jok See, due to its popularity. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Saturday from 6.30pm to 2am (closed on Monday)
- Address: 26 Takuapa Rd, Talat Yai, Mueang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 217 903
Raya RestaurantPhuket Town
The charm of Phuket Town's Old Town is nowhere more evident than in its Sino-Portuguese architecture. Along Dibuk, Thalang and Phang Nga roads downtown you'll see beautiful examples of restored shop-houses and a good example of this genre is Raya Restaurant. Raya, not to put a too fine point on it, this Thai restaurant is unsurpassed in Phuket.
Signature dishes include a sensational crabmeat curry served with rice vermicelli, caramelised and braised pork belly, spicy Phuket prawns, deep-fried sea bass with shallots and red chillies in tamarind and lemongrass sauce. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10pm
- Address: 48/1 Dibuk Rd, Tambon Talat Yai, Mueang Phuket District, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 218 155
Seafood is the speciality at Kan Eang@Pier and many visitors make a beeline to it to experience the genuine tangs of the coconut-husk-fired grills. The menu is massive and features dishes that you may not have heard of before; fortunately, the experienced wait staff can talk you through the many options. Popular items include fresh crab, squid in garlic, and a host of shellfish. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10.30am to 11pm
- Address: 44/1 Viset Road Moo 5, Rawai, Mueang, Phuket 83100, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)83 173 1187
Suay RestaurantPhuket Town
Joining the list of quality places to eat downtown Phuket is Suay, a simple, yet effective setup showcasing the talents of Tammasak Chootong. Suay (meaning ‘beautiful’ in Thai) keeps things uncomplicated and cheap but that doesn’t mean it’s not without a lot of allure and appeal; Chef Tammasak enjoys delivering top-class food at reasonable prices so it’s not surprising that the place does well with an approach like that.
Braised beef in sweet Thai green curry and the spicy fresh yellow fin tuna Issan-style are both eye-openers for their easy panache and brio. Choose from the specials backboard with its daily changing offers or go for old favourites such as grilled seas scallops. Portions are relatively small at Suay and sharing dishes, Thai-style is the logical way to go about dining here as dishes are extremely reasonably priced and certainly won’t break the bank. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5pm to 11pm
- Address: 50/2 Takuapa Road, Talat Nuea, Mueang, Phuket 83000 Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)87 888 6990
Pan Yaah RestaurantKalim Beach (near Patong Beach)
Pan Yaah Restaurant offers one of the best views of Patong Bay and the town itself, with fantastic Thai food as an added bonus. It's located in Kalim, about 1 km north of Patong along the scenic beach road heading up to Kamala Beach. Established for many years, Pan Yaah is a great little place for romantic and intimate sunset and evening dining.
The restaurant is set above large granite rocks and diners can hear the surf breaking below – very impressive. Largely made of dark wood with a fan-cooled terrace overlooking the sea, you won't want for sea breezes at Pan Yaah. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Sunday from 11am to 11pm (closed on Mondays)
- Address: 249 Prabaramee Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 618 248
Tamachart RestaurantPhuket Town
Tamachart Restaurant in Phuket Town has got to be the most unusual, out-of-the-ordinary eatery this side of Phuket. It’s been going for what seems like forever now and is a tremendously popular spot for expats and locals alike as well as being a welcome oddity for visitors.
The word ‘tamachart’ translates into English as ‘natural’ and many people in Phuket use the English word when discussing this unusually fitted out Thai-Chinese eating place. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10.30am to 11.30pm
- Address: 62/5 Soi Phutorn, Talat Nuea, Mueang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 214 037
Blue ElephantPhuket Town
Blue Elephant specialises in Royal Thai cuisine – a rich and exotic combination of flavours once uniquely created for the Royal Palace that has recently grown popular because of the global spread of Thai cooking. It’s located in a splendid, old Chinese-colonial style mansion near the heart of the old quarter of Phuket Town. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 10.30pm
- Address: 96 Krabi, Talat Nuea, Mueang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 354 355
Baan Rim PaPatong Beach
One of Phuket’s finest all-round dining experiences, Baan Rim Pa is a teakwood house overlooking Patong Bay and serves Thai cuisine with panache. With a fantastic wine selection, an elegant wait staff, traditional dishes served on crisp white tablecloths, Baan Rim Pa is years away from budget Thai eateries.
The whole idea behind Baan Rim Pa is to invite diners to sample Royal Thai Cuisine in regal surroundings and it succeeds well, except the seaside location puts the whole experience into overdrive. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 12am
- Address: 223 Phrabarami Rd, Pa Tong, Kathu District, Phuket 83150, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)93 584 5563