Wat Putta Mongkon is perhaps not the most famous temple in Phuket, but it is centrally located close to the famous Thalang Road. If you are walking around this historical part of Phuket, a stop off at the temple is definitely worth the time as some of the architecture here is simply stunning.
The temple is made up of a central hall, which is Sino-Portuguese in style, and the roof is one of the most iconic sights in the area. As you approach, you will be able to see the ornate carvings on the temple roof and, as this is very much a working temple, this area also houses the resident monks. Make sure not to miss the yellow chedi, which is located behind the temple and which many visitors don’t even realise is there.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
There is a large garden in the temple, which is studded with majestic trees. Each one of these is adorned with a piece of Buddhist scripture, which tells visitors about one of the principles of the religion.
Wat Putta Mongkon operates as a school that trains young monks. If you walk around, you will be able to see this in action. Depending on when you go, you may also get to witness one of the many colourful ceremonies that are held here.
Wat Putta Mongkon
- Opening Hours: 07:00 – 17:30
- Location: Dibuk Road, opposite Soi Romanee, Phuket Town