There were two places on the island for clearance, in Phuket Town and at Ao Chalong, but now the town office will direct you to Ao Chalong (ao means bay in Thai), a large sheltered anchorage in the island's southeast, which for many is the first Phuket landfall anyway. A building at Ao Chalong's pier offers one-stop service, with customs, immigration and harbour master located there. By road, it's about 20 minutes south of Phuket Town.
Immigration charges 300 baht on arrival and departure. There is an additional 10-baht charge for each passenger. No extra charges for crew. Receipts given. Customs does not charge a fee on arrival, 100 baht on departure. Harbour master also charges 100 baht on departure only.
Technically, boats leaving Phuket province for Krabi or other Thai provinces are obliged to clear out with the harbour master.
Immigration regulations vary, depending on what passport you hold. Make sure you know your country's particular visa entitlements. Skippers are responsible for all crew aboard their vessels, and there have been some expensive and time-consuming oversights in the past. So check all papers, especially out-of-date passports and expired visas.
Remember to be well organized. Have all relevant ship's papers and crew documents prepared, and always carry a couple of photocopies of each passport. They will be needed. Be polite, patient and respectful, and you'll find business goes more smoothly.
Please note that the above information is subject to change without notice. Please contact the relevant authorities for the latest on fees and requirements.
Note: This content provided courtesy of 8north.com
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay