Nai Harn Beach Shopping
Where to Shop & What to Buy in Nai Harn Beach
Nai Harn is not Phuket’s best shopping destination – its beach, verdant hills and tranquility are its main assets and the area has more of a residential feel to it than other West Coast destinations.
However, shopping for groceries in Nai Harn has become a lot easier lately with the opening of several 7-Elevens and if you’re after souvenirs there are several shops selling original paintings and others knick-knacks. For tourist items like Asian art and wood carvings, check out Asian Collections Shop. Nearby the beach, you will find a few shops offering beachwear and beach accessories.Read More
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
This is quite a unique shop offering a good range of artifacts and furniture from Thailand and nearby countries, Asian Collections is owned and run by Ammarit Limsuepchua who is a painter specialising in Thai painting (similar to the images one might find in Thai temples). Some of the most interesting items include Chinese-style cabinets, Thai classical paintings, Buddha images, lamps, wooden dolls and bracelets.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 09:00 – 22:00
- Location: On Sai Yuan Road at the three-way junction in central Nai Harn village
- Tel: +66 (0) 83 5221385
Like many of the artists who have gravitated to Rawai, Apinan Tovankasame is originally not from Phuket. He’s from Bangkok but has absolutely no plans to go back there. He originally moved to the island many years ago to teach in a local college and only later set up Baan Batik, selling to both the retail and wholesale markets.
“Every batik here is designed by our team, so our work is more original than you’ll see in any batik shop in the markets,” says Khun Apinan.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 18:00, Closed on Sundays
- Location: about 2 km from the Chalong circle, next to Lemon (Bangjak) gas station on Viset Road
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 384 061
There are a few shops located opposite Nai Harn Beach’s public car park that stock a fair variety of beachwear and accessories such as beach mats, swimming rings, hats, sarongs, sunglasses, flip-flops, snorkeling sets and T-shirts. Some shops also stock silk tablecloths and bedcovers and though the variety might be limited, buying here saves a trip elsewhere. In the same neighborhood you’ll find a few tailor shops and hard bargaining is definitely the order of the day here.
- Opening Hours: Daily
- Location: Opposite Nai Harn Beach public car park
Book Café in Nai Harn
Book Café is a recent addition to the literary scene of Phuket. Opened in 2012, this small family-run business is located in Nai Harn on the road leading to Kata View Point. The charming little house is also a café in which you can enjoy a drink (healthy shakes, smoothies and fruit juices, coffee, herbal tea) while reading one of the books from the shelves or enjoying a chat with Beverly, the genial owner.
Book Café is more a cultural and community place than strictly a bookshop. Although a selection of French, German and Scandinavian books are available, most of the merchandise on sale or exchange here is in English. Prices here are slightly more advantageous than in other bookshops.
- Opening Hours: 09:30 – 17:30
- Location: Soi Sai Yuan
- Tel: 085 794 2371
Muay Thai Shop
If you’re looking for Muay Thai accessories such as shorts, gloves, amulets, head guards, groin protectors, hand wraps, tank tops, T-shirt as well as boxing oils and creams, you can find them all at one of the Thai boxing camps located off Sai Yuan Road such as Rawai Muay Thai Camp and Sinbi Muay Thai Gym.
- Location: Rawai Muay Thai Camp on Sai Yuan Road and Sinbi Muay Thai Gym on Sai Yuan Road, heading towards Kata View Point
- Tel: Rawai Muay Thai Camp (+66 (0) 81 5376 038) and Sinbi Muay Thai Gym (+66 (0)83 3915535)
Red Gallery Art Studio
Though Somrak Maneemai’s Red Gallery Art Studio opened not too long ago, it is already full of colourful paintings. As a painter, he likes to try many techniques. “You have to see the works to know what my style is,” he explains. Khun Somrak has a master’s degree from Silpakorn University, one of Thailand’s top art schools, and teaches art part time to any interested party, young or old, Thai or foreign.
- Location: Phuket Art Village on Soi Naya 2
- Tel: +66 (0) 87 8903722
Reggae Bar/Leather Shop in Nai Harn
It seems that every town in Thailand has a Reggae Bar, run by stoned-out, bleary eyed wannabe Rastafarians. As the name suggests, Nai Harn’s Reggae Bar is the place to dig some Bob Marley and get horizontal but the bar also features a wide array of leather goods made by Micky, one of the gang. Usually displayed from a minivan Micky makes pretty good shoes, belts and bags as well as necklaces and does a ‘made to order’ service.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 02:00 – 20:00 but the bar stays open until 02:00
- Location: By Nai Harn lake
- Tel: +66 (0) 81 2735247
Tesco Lotus Express
This is a mini version of Tesco Lotus and stocks the same basic goods, although you will not be able to buy clothing and household goods. Tesco Lotus Express may look a little incongruous in Nai Harn but at one time 7-Eleven did, too! Prices are lower than 7-Eleven and you’ll be nice and cool while shopping.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 23:00
- Location: Soi Sai Yuan at the Nai Harn/Kata Road three-way junction
U-Sa-Ka-Ne Art Gallery
Like many local artists Apinan Sarochwong prefers to live and work in peaceful neighbourhoods such as Nai Harn and Rawai rather than on busier West Coast beach locations. His works are mostly inspired by the ‘local way of life where nature is pretty much the centre of everything’ and are mainly in acrylic. Next to his gallery are a few more, smaller galleries where artists also sell their own original work. All of them are members of Rawai Art Village Club. Apinan is also a well known and active Thai shadow puppeteer who has regular shows on Friday night from 20:00 onward. If interested, advance booking is recommended.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 08:20 – 21:00
- Location: Opposite Sinbi Muay Thai Gym on the road towards Kata View Point. Look for a big red sign says ‘Original Arts’. You can’t miss it.
- Tel: +66 (0) 81 9565872
Vichen Gallery at B Zenter
Vichen Gallery opened towards the end of 2006 with the aim of providing a place for people to relax while surrounded by art, as well as a place where artists and art lovers can exchange knowledge and opinions. Since it opened, the gallery has become one of the island’s most active art showcases, with a series of interesting exhibitions by various artists, both Thai and foreign.
- Opening Hours: 15:00 – 21:30. Closed on Wednesdays
- Location: Behind Da Vinci Italian Restaurant on Sai Yuan Road
- Tel: +66 (0) 76 288999