Phuket Old Town is a shopper’s paradise. Its colourful and historical streets are packed with charming, unique shops which have been operating for generations. These shops sell everything from high-quality clothing to fascinating curios, second-hand books to brand new bicycles and old antiques to new artworks. Moreover, the whole area is pretty much entirely devoid of any big brand outlets or chain stores, making it a truly unique retail experience.
Of course, this lack of familiar names does come with a disadvantage – how can you tell which are the must-visit shops in Phuket Town? Where are you sure to find the best bargains, combining great quality with affordable prices to give you the best value for your money? The following list shows a few picks of the many boutiques around Phuket Old Town.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Ban Boran Textiles
Ban Boran in downtown Phuket sells high-quality textiles, ranging from fine silk to cotton clothing items sourced from tribal sources in Thailand and neighbouring countries. ‘Boran’ means ‘antique’ in Thai and while it doesn’t have bargain-basement prices, the quality is assured.
You’ll also find attractive sandals, bags, lacquerware boxes, lamps, tribal bracelets and pendants. Silk shirts (the colours are guaranteed not to run) can cost up to 2,500 baht. English is spoken here and although it can be a rather hot shopping experience, it’s definitely worth a visit.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from 11am to 6pm (closed on Sundays)
- Location: Phang Nga Road, Talad Yai, Muang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
Think Positive (‘Kit Dee’)
Think Positive is a fascinating emporium of Japanese, Chinese, Burmese, Thai, and Indian knick-knacks and clothing items. Here, you’ll be able to examine a vast collection of Buddha image heads, Chinese and Japanese silk gowns, wooden painted ornaments and woven boxes costing around 900–1,400 baht.
Of course, you can bargain with the Burmese shop assistant but the real deal can only be done when the boss is around. Piles of Kashmir wool and rough Thai silk await you at the entrance and Think Positive has more items for sale than it can count.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 10pm
- Location: 15 Yaowarat Road, Muang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
Despite its prepossessing bright-red exterior, the ground floor of China Inn doesn’t look much out of the ordinary until you take a closer look and then you’ll notice racks of cotton waistcoats, ladies’ shirts, Buddha images and over in the corner a splendid Laos golden Buddha.
It’s just about then that you’ll come across a nice surprise at the back: a garden restaurant serving international and Thai specialities. So relax and have a cool drink or two over a snack before heading upstairs to have a root through Chinese clothing selection. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tuesday and Wednesday from 10.30am to 6pm, Thursday–Saturday from 10.30am to 9pm, Sundays from 10.30am to 6.30pm (closed on Mondays)
- Location: 21 Thalang Road, Talad Yai, Muang, Phuket 83000, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)76 356 239