Like many of the artists who have gravitated to Rawai, Apinan Tovankasame is not originally from Phuket. He’s from Bangkok but has absolutely no plans to go back there. He first moved to the island many years ago to teach in a local college and only later set up Baan Batik, selling to both the retail and wholesale markets.
“Each batik here is designed by our team, so our work is more original than you’ll see in any batik shop in the market,” says Khun Apinan.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 18:00, Closed on Sundays
- Location: About 2 km from the Chalong circle, next to Lemon (aka Bangjak) gas station
- Tel: +66 (0) 76-384061
Phuket Orchid Farm
A family-run business which has been in operation for decades, Phuket Orchid Farm is probably the largest orchid nursery on the island. This is a unique opportunity to admire some of Thailand’s famous and colourful flowers. Customers may also buy fresh-cut orchids which are then packed for air travel. Entrance fee is 200 baht per person.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 09:00 – 17:30
- Location: Soi Suksan 1, Viset Road. About one km from the Chalong Circle toward Rawai Beach, look for the sign after the local school on the right-hand side
- Tel: +66 (0) 76-280226
Phuket Seashell Museum
The Sea Shell Museum contains some of the most valuable seashells from all over the world. Many are among the most sought-after by collectors and some are from Phuket and Thai waters. In addition there are also some rarities and odd shells including the world's largest golden pearl (140 karats), large sections of sedimentary rock containing shell fossils that represent the earth's earliest life-forms, and a shell weighing in at 250 kilograms! Admission: 200 baht for adults; 100 baht for children. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 08:00 – 18:00
- Location: Not far from Evason Resort on Viset Road, Rawai
Shops at Phromthep Cape
At Phromthep Viewpoint, you will find a lot of small souvenir shops at the lower end of the hill selling items like batik, postcards, sweets, dry food, fresh fruit, clothes, handicrafts (many made from Andaman seashells). Try a young coconut drink to cool you down after the walk up to the viewpoint.
- Opening Hours: Daily from about 10:00 till sunset
- Location: Opposite the main public car park
Tesco Lotus @ Park Rawai
Tesco Lotus @ Park Rawai is a shopping mall run by the international chain Tesco Lotus. At 1,000sqm it’s nowhere near the size of a mega mall but offers everything shoppers could want in a friendly-sized supermarket. The retail sections features a good number of tenants including several banks and ATM’s, a Pizza Company outlet, Sengho Bookstore, Swensen’s, Top Charoen Optical, a foot massage shop, beauty salon, gold shop, drugstore, and a few restaurants such as Black Canyon, a Thai restaurant.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 22:00, for satellite businesses the hours may vary
- Location: About one kilometre south from the Chalong Circle on Viset Road
Water Sports Equipment
If you’re looking for water sports equipment, try Aqua Master near Chalong Pier. Aqua Master operates as a wholesaler of water sports equipment to the scuba diving, snorkelling and swimming industries in Thailand and other countries in Asia. Many of their items are also for retail sale. Products range from masks to snorkels, fins, wetsuits, dive computers, cameras, housings, cylinders, snorkels, fins, bags, knives, torches, gloves, boots and clothes.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Fri from 08:00 – 18:00, Sat from 08:00 – 13:00
- Location: Midway between the Chalong Circle and the pier
- Tel: +66 (0) 76-281227