Phuket Weekend Market
Phuket Town Shopping
Phuket weekend market (locally known as Naka Market), located along Chao Fa West Road just outside Phuket Town not far from Central Festival, is a fascinating jumble of secondhand goods, curios, pirated items, live animals and a large amount of great local food to sample.
It really is worth a visit even if you're not planning on buying anything. If you were to ask, “What’s for sale here?” The answer would probably be, "How much time do you have?" as the list of goods is endless.
Phuket Week End Market Highlights
Roughly speaking, the Phuket Week End divides into two sections – covered and open.
In the covered section you'll find secondhand items with a huge selection of jeans, T-shirts, curios, objects that don’t appear to have any function but simply look good and touristic souvenirs such as carvings and religious images. Outside in the ‘new’ section you will find stall after stall selling fluffy toys, mobile phones, all sorts of electronics, DVDs and CDs, shoes, bags, jewelry and fashion accessories, watches, more clothes and everything but the kitchen sink.
To the right of the main entrance is the food part. Here, you can gorge on delicious boiled buttered corn on the cob, spicy sausages, grilled chicken, fishcakes, exotic fruit and even deep-fried insects. And of course you can wash your snack down with an ice-cold beer.
Good to Know about Phuket Week End Market
Even though the Phuket Week End Market (known to the locals as Talad Tai Rot and Chao Fa Market) is not as big as Bangkok’s humongous Chatuchak Market, it’s still impressively large. Generally speaking, the floor is mostly cemented over so you won’t get muddy underfoot like at other local markets.
Things get going at around four o’clock in the afternoon when the sun isn’t so savage and it closes after nine at night. It’s a good idea to get there early to avoid the crowds and also to find a place to park as this is definitely problematic past 4:30.
Phuket Weekend Market
- Opening Hours: Saturday & Sunday from 16:00 til 21:00
- Location: Talad Tai Rot is located along Chao Fa West Road, Phuket’s main thoroughfare, one kilometre south of Central Festival shopping mall and is opposite Wat Naka, a Buddhist temple. Take a left at the first set of traffic lights.
- Tour Available: Discover Phuket Weekend Market with Phuket Island & City Tour
- Rafting & Elephant Trekking
- Cruise on the June Bahtra to Phang Nga Bay
- Phi Phi Island by Speedboat
- Phuket Fantasea Show
- 4 in 1 Safari with Junk Cruise
- Phang Nga by speed boat + Canoe
- Bamboo Rafting or River Canoeing + Elephant Trekking + Elephant Bathing
- Krabi Highlights by Speedboat
- Khaosok Discovery (Canoe)
- Hong by Starlight with John Gray Sea Canoe