Jet-skiing is one of the best ways to enjoy some fun in the ocean during your Phuket holiday. Those who love to make their own waves can head to the main beaches, where plenty of machines are for hire. It’s a fun and popular activity, but be aware that, beyond providing life jackets, there is little regard for safety. On Patong Beach, in particular, speedboats and jet skis can be seen navigating dangerously close to swimmers.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Where to enjoy jet skis in Phuket
Jet skis are available for hire at most of Phuket's major beaches. There are more than 200 licensed jet-ski operators in Phuket, with over half located in Patong and the rest on Bangtao, Kamala, Karon and Kata beaches. Several jet-ski operators operate their business without a proper license, so it's a good idea to look for the ‘insurance jet ski’ sticker on the vehicle’s side.
How to hire a jet ski in Phuket
As with any vehicle hire, make sure you agree on the price and time, as well as check the state of the jet ski beforehand. Most operators provide you with a life vest as a safety precaution. On Patong Beach, swimmers are cordoned off – outside of these areas, jet-ski pilots are free to enjoy their time on the waves.
Under Thai law, jet skis may only be operated by people holding a valid Thai sea captain's license, but the regulation is rarely checked or enforced by officers on the island. If you decide to try a jet ski in Phuket, it's a good idea to take note of the tourist police’s phone number: 1155.