Kitesurfing is one of the fastest-growing extreme sports in Phuket. The island has all it takes to be a popular location for many kitesurf enthusiasts. If you're keen on learning this watersport during your holiday, our mini guide on kitesurfing in Phuket has got you covered.
Beginners appreciate the shallow waters and gentle breezes of the southeast coast while over at Nai Yang and Layan beaches in northwest Phuket, more experienced kitesurfers really let rip with acrobatic stunts.
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Flying Hanuman Ziplining Experience
- Canoeing Excursion in Phang Nga Bay with Thai Buffet Lunch
- Introduction to City Tour
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
Learning to kitesurf in Phuket
Kitesurfing combines aspects of wakeboarding, windsurfing, paragliding and even gymnastics into 1 extreme sport but it doesn’t come naturally. You’re going to have to learn how to do this and basic skills include kite launching, flying, landing, usage of the bar, lines and safety devices.
Kitesurfing requires several lessons to get used to, as it can be dangerous to attempt without any basic knowledge. There are a few centres in Phuket where you can apply for kitesurfing lessons. You can choose a 1-on-1 lesson if you want more time with your instructor. A shared class – usually 2 students to 1 teacher – comes at a lower price.
Where to learn and rent kitesurfing gear in Phuket
Phuket Kite School
If you’re visiting Nai Yang Beach between May and October, chances are that you’ll see people out in the sea performing all sorts of acrobatic and hair-raising stunts on kitesurfing boards. The same applies if you're in Chalong Bay from November to April. These are the folks (and students) from Kite School Phuket – an excellent place to go to if you’re keen on learning this energetic and exhilarating sport.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8.30am to 6pm
- Location: 26/4 Wiset Road, Rawai, Phuket, 83130 Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)81 591 4594
KiteBoarding Asia (KBA) is home to the official Airush and Cabrinha test centres in Thailand. You can test out the brands' surfboards and equipment before buying. It also offers rental services for kitesurfing and stand-up paddleboarding. KiteBoarding Asia operates in Nai Yang from May to October, and in Chalong Bay from November to April. Lessons range from 1-day to 3-day courses to help you get the hang of kitesurfing in Phuket.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9am to 7pm
- Tel: +66 (0)81 5914594