Kitesurfing is presently one of the fastest growing extreme sports in Phuket and the island has all it takes to be a popular location for many kitesurf enthusiasts.
Beginners appreciate the shallow waters and gentle breezes of the southeast coast while over at Nai Yang and Layan beaches in northwest Phuket, more practiced kitesurfers really let rip with acrobatic stunts.
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
Learning to Kitesurf
Kitesurfing is not the sort of sport that one can just grab some gear and head out; indeed it can be dangerous to attempt it without any basic knowledge. There are a few centres in Phuket where you can apply for kitesurfing lessons and you should choose between a one-on-one lesson with an instructor or a shared class – usually two students to one teacher – at a better price.
The centres offering kitesurfing lessons are:
Kite Boarding In Asia Tel: +66 (0) 81-5914594
Kite Thailand Tel: +66 (0) 81-0903730 or +66 (0) 89-9701797)
Where to Learn and Get the Gear
Phuket is probably the best place in Thailand for both new and used equipment. Here are a few names to start with:
KiteBoarding in Asia
Known, as KBA for short, it is home to the official Airush and Cabrinha test centres which means that customer can ‘try out the goods’ before buying. They also offer a rental service.
- Location: KBA has two locations in Phuket on Rawai and Nai Yang Beach
- Tel: +66 (0) 81-5914594
Established in 1985, Phuket Windsurfing is a Starboard distributor and offers various types of new and rental equipment.
- Location: Rawai Beach
- Tel: +66 (0)87-8888244