Jao Mae Kuan Im Shrine in Phuket
Phuket Town Attractions - Chinese Shrines0
Jao Mae Kuan Im is a small vintage shrine on Bangkok Road in the heart of Phuket Town, just a few steps from the ‘Fountain Circle’ and the main fresh market.
The shrine celebrated its 120th anniversary in 2011 and, as its name suggests, devoted to Kuan Im, the Goddess of Mercy in Taoist mythology (also known as Guanyin and Kannon). Her image is also seen on altars in Chinese shrines, households and work situations.
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
Highlights and Features
There are lots of pictures of her in different acts and in a variety of sizes together with other deities. The most common image of her is the one in a white flowing robe wearing pearl necklaces.
Devotees who believe in her claim that part of her supernatural power is to grant fertility, therefore it is common to see her surrounded by statues of babies and little children.
Good to Know and What not to Miss
Though the shrine is on a busy road it’s quite peaceful and has a positive feel to it once you step inside. Behind its white walls lies a neat courtyard, that helps transform the limited space into a welcoming waiting area before entering the inner hall. Looking up at the ceiling, guests will see lovely mini pagodas wind chimes, paper lanterns and hanging spiral joss sticks. A good photo opportunity!
Jao Mae Kuan Im Shrine
- Opening Hours: Daily from 08:00 – 20:00
- Location: Bangkok Road in the heart of Phuket Town. Just a few steps from the Fountain Circle and not far from main fresh market.
You May Also Like