Tha Rua Shrine in Phuket
Phuket Attractions - Chinese Shrines0
If you go in or out of town using Thepkrasattri Road (Phuket’s main artery) you will notice an elegant Taoist Shrine located near the Heroines’ Monument. This is Tha Rua Shrine, the fourth-oldest on the island.
Once a tiny shrine it has now relocated to a much bigger plot of land right near the original site and features many striking carved dragons, traditional Chinese paintings plus an outstanding red-gold-and-green colour theme.Read More
- Phi Phi Island Speedboat Excursion
- Ao Phang Nga National Park Kayak Adventure
- Phuket FantaSea Cultural Theme Park
- Phi Phi Islands Tour with Express Boat
- Coral & Racha Islands Full-Day Tour
- Introduction to City Tour
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- James Bond Island Full-Day Tour via Big Boat
- Morning Sino Heritage Walk
- Koh Yao Noi Full-Day Bike Tour
Highlights and Features
In the centre of the front terrace stands a huge brass container with dragon motifs. This container, brought all the way from China, is used for incense burning. Inside the hall you’ll find Kwan Yin statues (the Goddess of Mercy) of various sizes as well as traditional Taoist deities. This shrine complex consists of the shrine itself as its centre point, a spacious car park and in the future it will have a large kitchen, a garden and more.
The Tha Rua Shrine is no doubt the largest and probably the best-looking shrine in Phuket. So far the project has cost about 40 million baht since the start of the restoration in 2002 and is funded purely by donations. If it is possible, avoid wearing black clothes when visiting any Chinese shrine/temple in Phuket. While white is the most auspicious colour, any colour than black will do. This is a good photo opportunity.
Tha Rua Shrine
- Opening Hours: Daily 06:00 – 18:00. Opening hours are extended on special days including during the popular Vegetarian Festival when the shrine opens its gates 24 hours a day.
- Location: Thepkrasattri Road, not far from the Heroines’ Monument.
You May Also LikeRate This Place: ( votes)